CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349345
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349345.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:11:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Broadwas
National Grid Reference:
SO 75496 55126

Details

SO 75 NE BROADWAS CP CHURCH LANE

3/9 Church of St Mary 29.7.59 Magdalene

GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 origin with later additions, restored by Charles Hodgson Fowler, FRIBA, c1885. Partly coursed sandstone rubble, partly sandstone ashlar, tiled roofs; timber-framed, weatherboarded bell turret. 2 bay chancel, 4 bay nave with south chapel, south porch and west extension enclosing bell turret. Predominantly Decorated style. Chancel Stonework much repaired and refaced; late C19 4-light east window; north elevation has 2 lancets; south elevation has a lancet and a late C19 flat-headed 2- light window. Nave North elevation: 2 buttresses with offsets; C16 flat- headed 2-light window at east end, 2 lancets flanking narrow, round-headed doorway and an additional lancet at west end. South elevation: lancet and C15 flat-headed 2-light window at west end. South chapel Founded in 1344. Separate roof with parapets and kneelers at gable ends; ashlar built; central and corner buttresses with gabled weatherings; east wall has 2 cusped lancets and a wheel window with mouchette tracery in gable above; two 2- light windows in south wall; all windows have hoodmoulds the returns of which continue as a string course. South porch is situated immediately west of chapel opposite the north doorway and is an 1881 replacement of former C14 porch. Timber-frame on sandstone base; gabled, tiled roof; Perpendicular style infill panels, now glazed. C13 pointed arched south doorway within deeply splayed and moulded reveals; 2 nook-shafts with foliated capitals set each side the outer capitals having the remains of heads which face each other across the doorway; hood-mould with foliated label stops. Bell turret Masonry enclosing turret of probably C13 date; buttresses at gable ends; 3 lancets in west elevation and 3 rows of close-set vertical studding in gable, 6 central panels of which are glazed; turret on square base; 4 traceried bell-chamber openings below pyramidal roof and weathercock. Interior Chancel arch removed, probably in C16. South chapel arcade of 2 bays with compound pier of 4 engaged shafts, moulded caps and bases. Nave roof C19, trusses have braced collars reinforced into tie-beam; wagon roofs to chancel and chapel. Bell- turret framework is primarily late C19 and is separated from nave by plain timber screen enclosing vestry beneath; gallery space above with Jacobean. balcony railing. Chancel floor laid with C16 tiles; piscina within cusped arch in chancel and chapel; grotesque heads on label stops of south windows in chapel; octagonal font on circular stem with scalloped top; richly carved octagonal pulpit, dated 1632, also tester. C17 pews at north west end of nave; 3 C18 wall memorials and 2 early C17 tomb slabs in chancel. Chair in chancel dated 1647; panel of medieval glass in east lancet on north side of chancel.

Listing NGR: SO7549655126

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
151691
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07277/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].