CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW'S

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349352
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW'S, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW'S
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349352.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:29:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW'S, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Grimley
National Grid Reference:
SO 83630 60682

Details

SO 86 SW GRIMLEY CP MAIN STREET (west side)

2/35 Church of St Bartholomew's 29.7.59 -

GV II*

Parish church. C12 origin, much rebuilt and altered; restored in 1886. Part sandstone rubble, part sandstone ashlar, tiled roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel and north vestry. Romanesque with Decorated and Perpendicular additions. West tower: C15 and much restored; 4 stages; 5 strings and diagonal buttresses with offsets. West elevation has a 4-centred arched doorway and hood mould, and above, to the second stage, is a 2-light window with hood mould and returns. The belfry stage has paired, louvred, 2-light bell chamber openings and ogee hood moulds with returns and carved finials. Gargoyles to top string beneath embattled parapet. Nave: Partly rebuilt in C14; buttresses with offsets at bay divisions; south elevation retains lower part of C12 buttress and indications of blocked openings; three C14 2-light windows; aisle to north beneath cat- slide roof and lit by three C19 2-light windows and a C19 cusped lancet at the west end. South porch: late C19; Romanesque revival situated at west end of nave beneath a lean-to roof; to left are steps leading to west gallery set behind a double, intersecting arcade of round-headed arches with scalloped capitals and moulded bases; at west end is a small round-headed window with nookshafts of similar design to arcade. The porch projects to the right and has a string course, round-headed archway and nookshafts with scalloped capitals and moulded bases and a wrought iron gate. The carved details are designed to match those of the C12 south doorway, its nookshafts now having renewed scalloped capitals, and having a heavy roll moulding to its round archway. Chancel: Rebuilt in C13; end buttresses with offsets; C15 3-light east window; north and south elevations have 2 lancets, the west end lancet in the north elevation opening into the vestry. North vestry: C19; paired, pointed arched windows in north gable end with round-lobed quatrefoil light above and a pointed arched, planked doorway in the east elevation. Interior: Chancel arch, with hood mould and returns, rises from moulded corbels. Three bay north arcade has columns with moulded caps and bases and 3 pointed arches. C19 roofs. West gallery on 4 elaborately carved brackets; hatchments each side. C19 chancel tiles and wrought iron altar rails. Octagonal font, probably recut Romanesque original on new base. Late C19 carved stone pulpit. Chancel has 2 early C19 wall memorials by Joseph Stephens; nave has 4 wall memorials including a late C18 one by Stephens and Bott and an early C19 one by W Stephens. Glass: two of the C14 nave windows contain some C15 glass. (VCH: BoE).

Listing NGR: SO8363060682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
151718
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/11863/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Hayzelden. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].