EYE MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1349522
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
EYE MANOR

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349522.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jan-2021 at 23:41:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
EYE MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eye, Moreton and Ashton
National Grid Reference:
SO 49609 63842

Details

EYE, MORETON & SO 46 SE ASHTON CP 6/5 Eye Manor 11.6.59 GV I Country house. Built for Ferdinando Gorges in 1673, with a datestone of 1680; fenestration altered in late C18, and during C20, C20 additions to north side. Brick on sandstone rubble plinth, tiled roofs. Rectangular plan with two parallel roof ranges, end stacks, central entrance, later additions extend to north end. Two storeys, cellars and attics. East front: three late C19 dormer windows with six-pane glazing bar sash windows, five 12-pane glazing bar sash windows to first floor with datestone above central window, central Doric portico with inner six-panelled door. To the north side are two blocked stone cross-mullioned window openings. Interior retains elaborate plastered ceilings in rooms on ground and first floors. The entrance hall has a large ceiling divided into nine panels by deeply moulded trabeations, each further decorated by alternating swags of floral motifs and drapery, and rosettes at the intersections, moulded panelling to walls and bolection moulded surround to fireplace, the doorway to the west has panelled pilasters and a cornice. Room to south-east has moulded panelling and bolection moulded fireplace. The ceiling has a geometrical pattern with central motifs enriched with acanthus and floral motifs and further wreaths with foliage and putti in outer panels. The south-west room has geometrical patterned ceiling with oakleaf and bay wreaths, and rosettes and altered figures at corners. The north-west room has irregular bolection moulded panelling, the ceiling has a central circular panel and square outer panels containing coats of arms of Gorges and Hilliard. The staircase hall has a panelled dado, the staircase has a pulvinated frieze, moulded risers and moulded handrail, twisted balusters and square newels. The upper landing is panelled to above dado level and is pedimented to the three sides with pilasters and cornice. The tympana to the left and right have painted motifs representing the arms of Hilliard and Gorges, the third tympanum has an escallop and swags. Each room on the first floor retains its plastered ceiling with various geometrical patterns enriched with acanthus, floral and foliage motifs and cherubs and putti, each room being of a different design. The attics and bedrooms retain some stone bolection moulded fire- places and some panelling. (RCHM, Vol 3, p 59; BoE, p 130).

Listing NGR: SO4960563841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150495
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 59
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 130

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15018/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].