CROOME COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1349526

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jun-1985

Statutory Address: CROOME COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROOME COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349526 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:54:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CROOME COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)

Parish: Croome D'abitot

National Grid Reference: SO 88494 44596

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 84 SE CROOME D'ABITOT CROOME COURT

3/12 Croome Court (formerly listed as Croome Court with Stables, 11.8.52 Garden Room or Temple, Principal Lodge, Lodge on west, and Panorama)

GV I

Country House 1751-2 by Lancelot (Capability) Brown with advice from Sanderson Miller. Interior work from 1760 by Robert Adam. Built for 6th Earl of Coventry. Limestone ashlar Palladian mansion with principal North and South fronts of 11 bays. Basement and 2 storeys with 3 storey end pavilions. Slate roofs, pyramidal over corner towers and 3 paired axial chimneys, pair linked by arches. 1-3-3-3-1 division with pedimented centre to North and fine pro- jecting Ionic tetrastyle portico to South. Modillion cornice and balustrade to flanking wings. Moulded window architraves enriched with flat cornices on ground floor main range, pediments to North front pavilions and Venetian win- dows to South front pavilions. Roman Doric curved pediment doorcase to North front, flat cornice on consoles over South door. Chamfered quoins to project- ing centre and to end pavilions. Fine 2 armed balustraded stair to North door and broad straight flight up to South door flanked by cast stone sphinxes. INTERIOR partly Brown with plasterwork by G Vassalli, partly Robert Adam with plaster by J Rose Jr. 2 Adam rooms removed to New York and London. Spine corridor with stone stair at East end with moulded underside and iron balu- strade. NORTH SIDE: Entrance hall with 4 fluted Doric columns and Palladian moulded doorcases, to East, dining-room with plaster cornice and ceiling, original pelmets, to West, billiard-room with fielded panelling, plaster cor- nice and rococo fireplace. These rooms, probably decorated c.1758-9, probably by Brown. SOUTH SIDE: Fine central Saloon with elaborate deep coved ceiling with 3 embellished panels and rich cornice, fine Palladian doorcases and 2 marble Ionic columned fireplaces. Room probably by Brown and Vassalli. To East former tapestry room now dismantled; ceiling a copy of original by R Adam and J Rose. Beyond, former library by R Adam, largely dismantled; marble fire- place. To West, drawing-room with shallow rococo-style plaster and marble fireplace. At WEST END, Gallery by R Adam 1764, with half-hexagonal bay to garden, elaborate octagonal panelled ceiling by J Rose, plaster reliefs of griffins, painted grisaille panels and marble caryatid fireplace by J Wilton. Attached at East end, SERVICE WING: L plan, red brick and stone with slate hipped roofs. 2 storey. Stone plinth, band, moulded eaves cornice and Chamfered quoins. Glazing bar sash windows with gauged brick heads. Red brick wall joins service wing to stable court beyond: 2 rusticated stone gate piers, one still with ball finial. CL 10.4.1915. A T Bolton: The architecture of R and J Adam 1922. D Stroud: Capability Brown 1975. G Bead: Decorative Plasterwork 1975. R Adam and Croome Court Connoisseur October 1953.

Listing NGR: SO8849444596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 152529

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bead, G, Decorative Plasterwork, (1975)
Bolton, A T , The Architecture of Robert and James Adam 1758-94, (1922)
Stroud, D, Capability Brown, (1975)
'Country Life' in 10 April, (1915)
'The Connoisseur' in October, (1953)

End of official listing