CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349778
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349778.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:52:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Docklow and Hampton Wafer
National Grid Reference:
SO 56416 57518

Details

DOCKLOW CP AND DOCKLOW SO 55 NE DOCKLOW (DET) CP 3/54 Church of St Bartholomew 11.6.59 GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins, extended late C13, largely rebuilt in 1880 by Thomas Nicholson. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roof with decorative ridge tiles, parapet with kneelers at west end and wrought iron cross finial at east end of ridge. The bell-tower has a shingle roof. West tower, continuous three-bay nave and single-bay chancel with south porch to nave. West tower:late C13 with C19 upper part and spire. Two stages. Lower stage has a late C13 cusped lancet in its west elevation. Belfry stage has rectangular louvred bell chamber openings on its north and west side. There is a clockface on the south side. Shallow pyramidal roof at base of short octagonal spire with weathervane. Nave and chancel: largely rebuilt in 1880, but some C12 masonry survives, notably the north wall and the base of the south wall. The north elevation has traces of two small blocked window openings and a C19 nave window of three lights with a square head and a hoodmould on head stops. The south elevation has a buttress with offsets at the division between nave and chancel and a similar 2-light and 3-light nave window and 2-light chancel window to the north nave window. At the east end buttresses with offsets flank the 3-light east window which has a two-centred arched head and a hoodmould with head stops. The south porch is C19, gabled and timber-framed on an ashlar base. It has a chamfered pointed archway and above is a tie-beam truss with struts and glazed panels. The side elevations have three lower boarded panels and above a glazed mullioned window of eight lights. The south doorway has a plain pointed archway of two chamfered orders. Interior: C19 chamfered pointed tower arch. The C19 nave roof has two moulded arch-braced collar trusses on head corbels with subsidiary moulded tie-beams and also a moulded arch-braced collar and tie-beam truss with raking struts; the arch- braces are pierced with quatrefoils and trefoils. The chancel has a C20 wagon roof. The fittings include a C19 panelled reredos, an early C17 altar table with turned legs and moulded rails, an early C19 mahogany and-brass organ case by J C Bishop, a C19 octagonal stone front and three-sided timber pulpit and a mid-C17 parish chest with panelled front and carved top rail. There is also recorded to be a bench in the tower incorporating some C17 panelling. Memorials: chancel has two memorials to the Evans family. One is late C18 and surmounted by an entablature and urn,the other is early C19. Also memorial to Thomas Deykin, died 1833, on the west wall of the nave. Glass: the east window has stained glass by W Done of Done and Davies, of Shrewsbury, dated 1880. (RCHM, Herefs, III, p 43, item 1; BoE, p 114).

Listing NGR: SO5641657518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149617
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 43
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 114

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11132/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].