This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1349830



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Yazor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 149776

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


YAZOR CP - SO 44 NW 4/95 Church of St Mary 16.12.86 GV II Parish church, now redundant. 1843 and 1855 by George Rowe or Moore. Sandstone ashlar and dressings. Welsh slate roofs and ashlar spire. Cruciform plan with western polygonal chancel, three-bay nave and transepts projecting by one bay with symmetrical porches to west. East tower with entry and spire. Tower has extremely tall bottom stage with gabled weathered angle buttresses terminating near bell-openings of top stage. Two lancets with continuous labels and battered cills to each side of top stage. Cornice supported on corbel table above which rises octagonal broach spire with gabled lucarnes to cardinal points and smaller higher ones to subsidiary diagonal points. Moulded finial with wrought iron cross. East side has three stepped trefoil headed lancets, the outer two blind, separated by engaged shafts, over the main entry. East doorway has two-centred moulded arch on a pair of shafts. One order of arch has dog-teeth. Label and stops. Two-leaved oak doors diagonally ledged. In front of the doors are four steps and a pair of cast-iron shoe-scrapers. Nave has three lancets, with moulded labels and curious square label stops in the form of pieces of string course to each. elevation. Chamfered plinth, continuous string and chamfered cornice. Tall weathered buttresses separate the lancets. Transepts have strings continued from nave. Three stepped lancets with richly moulded labels and large foliated stops to north and south. Single blind lancets to east returns. Verges and kneelers. Weathered buttresses to south-east and north-east corners at junction with nave. Attached to the west side of each transept is a small porch with plain parapet. Continuously chamfered two-centred doorway with ledged oak doors to north and south. Moulded labels. String to parapets of porches continues around apse. West returns of porches each have a pair of rectangular lights with shouldered lintels and wrought iron casements. Beneath the windows of the north porch, stone stairs descend to square-headed doorway into crypt. Square chimney shaft at each west junction of apse and transepts. Apse has five lancets, one to each side, and moulded labels. At the angles are single fully recessed shafts with stylised capitals, in the form of three leaves. Apex of roof has elaborate wrought iron circle in cross. Interior of porch beneath tower has stone side benches. Moulded wall-plates with untrussed rafters. Triangular pointed inner doorway with three chamfered orders. Label with head stops of a queen and a cleric. Two-leaved oak doors. Drawing of the Old Church of St John the Baptist (qv), Yazor, inscribed "Old Yazor, Oct 1850". Nave roof has six bays of moulded trusses with arch-braces rising from foliated corbels. Moulded wall-plates. Where the roof crosses the apes of the two transeptual arches there are a pair of carved wooden angels. Transepts have roofs similar to that of each porch beneath tower. Chancel roof has ribs rising from corbels similar to those of nave but richly painted. The ribs meet in a large enriched boss above the chancel steps. Extending down from the corbels are narrow vertical painted strips with diagonal stripes in gold, green, red and black. Red painted plaster dado with eight rows of rampart lions, probably symbols of the Price family. Dado has gilded and painted metal cresting with running foliage patterns to margins. Attached to five sides of the dado beneath apse windows are metal plaques with inscriptions of The Magnificat, Creed, Ten Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Nunc Dimittis. Above the central wall is a mid-C19 oak canopy with three large crocketted multi- foiled gables and pendants. Communion table, perhaps mid-C19, has massive twisted legs with tendrils along the twists and debased Ionic capitals with putti-heads in place of volutes. Beneath the front rail are garlands and vine-foliage. Rear legs, possibly C17, are in the form of pilasters with acanthus decoration and crude Ionic capitals. Late C19 altar cross in oak has stepped base enriched with fluerons. Mid-C19 oak chair with gabled and crocketted back, these motifs repeated in upholstery patterns in red, gold and blue. Oak late C19 prie-dieu with chamfered two-centred arch to open panel and two trefoils in the spandrels. Oak communion rails with three hollow chamfered siltire crosses to each side of central entry. Stained glass in lancets of apse are c1845 by Warrington (BoE). Central one has Ascension, Crucifixion and Resurrection in three superimposed vesicae. South lancet has Annunciation and Nativity. North lancet has Magi and miracle scene. Diagonal lancets to south-west and north-west have emblems of the Four Evangelists. Carpet between communion rails and altar is probably C19. Carefully fitted in the apse it is decorated in blue, gold and terracotta colours. East of the communion rails and west of the transepts in the south wall is a chamfered triangular-headed doorway to vestry and south porch. Above is a marble and stone wall monument. Gable, crockets, and apron with two female heads. Inscription: IN MEMORY OF ROBERT ONLY SON OF SIR UVEDALE PRICE OF FOXLEY BART AND LADY CAROLINE HIS WIFE DAUGHTER OF GEORGE EARL OF TYRCONNEL DIED 1857 AUXILIVM IN MEVM DOMINO

To the left is a brass plaque for RL Preece, Rector, dated 1863, who "beautified this Church/ & built the spire". On the north wall opposite is a large white marble plaque with inlaid cross at the junction of the arms of which is a representation of the east elevation of the present church. The plaque is for Uvedale Snodd Price. The inscription concludes: " ... He was zealous for the honour of his makers house and began to Build this Church, the ancient one of this parish being dilapidated by time. But it pleased almighty God to call him hence before his work was ended. He died at Bishopstone Nov VI mdccccliv aged xxxix years". Beneath is a mid-C19 cast iron stove about six feet high and four feet in diameter. Radiating vertical fins, fluted capping and crown-finial. Between the north and south walls of the chancel are richly decorated geometrically patterned floor tiles with blues, reds, browns and buffs. Candelabrum, perhaps brass and wrought iron. Twelve curved branches with foliated drip-pans and turned central shaft hanging centrally from the roof. Late C19 bench and two-seater desk in oak. Bench has carved arms with bird; desk has poppyheads and ogeed panels. Transepts each have a large triangular-headed arch with three chamfered orders to jambs. Each arch has a pair of corbels, like those of nave, supporting central order with fillet mould- ing. Beneath each arch is a richly carved oak screen, probably late C19 with central entry and six panels, each with two trefoil-headed openings and benches with moulded arms facing inwards. The southern screen is interrupted by a large polygonal oak pulpit supported on large carved corbel. Lower rail has carved angel. Panels have crockets and ogeed heads. Inscription on rail: "Blessed is he that heareth the Word of God ... ". Ogeed tester is vaulted in oak between pendants with the emblems of the Four Evangelists. Behind the screen oak stairs with balustraded handrail lead into the pulpit. West side of south transept has triangular-headed doorway like that in chancel. South window has stained glass with grisaille, blue squares and red triangles of 1866 (BoE). To the north of the pulpit is a two-seater bench and desk similar to that in chancel. Screen to north transept is similar to that of south transept but unobstructed. Six seats and central entry to organ. Stained glass is similar to that of, south transept. Organ has exposed pipes framed by quatrefoiled spandrels and two corner posts each with an angle to the top. Nave has uncoloured plastered walls. Font with plain octagonal base and stem. Octagonal bowl with chamfered underside and horizontal mouldings to lower parts of sides, probably C15. Stained glass in opposed westernmost lancets. That to north depicts Ruth gleaning wheat and commemorates the marriage of Charlotte Lucy Davenport in June 1866. The south window refers to Isaac and Rebekah and is for the marriage of George Horatio Davenport of Foxley and Sophia Diane, February 1866. South side of east wall has monument to the Hon Robert Price died 173 2/3 in white and black marble with Corinthian columns, two urns and achievement. Above is a monument with obelisk and urn for Robert, only son of Uvedale Price. Both these price monuments removed from the Old Church of St John the Baptist (qv) in December 1853. North side of east wall has two early C19 monuments, the top one for George Allen, the bottom one for Rev James Allen. Roll of honour for six men of the parish killed from 1914 - 19 and four from 1939 - 45. Candelabrum identical to that in chancel, hanging centrally from roof. Radiators in oak cases with lattice grilles, to north-east and south-east corners. Mid-C19 nave pews and wainscoting complete at time of re-survey (December 1986). To each side of east door is a pair of wrought iron mid-C19 brackets with twisted stems. Above the door are the Royal Arms, in relief, possibly plaster, richly painted. Above the Arms is slender two- centred tower arch with three orders, the centre one having corbels like the transeptual arches, supporting central filleted order. Lower part of arch is crossed by an open wooden screen, producing a gallery effect consisting of three panels, separated by octagonal shafts supporting two-centred arches with tracery. At the bottom of each panel is a pair of quatrefoils. Beyond the screen is the ringing chamber with bell-rope and lancet in east wall of tower containing stained glass of the Virgin and Child. Goodhart-Rendel dates the church 1843 and 1855 and attributes it to George Moore. Pevsner suggests 1843 by George Rowe, with the apse windows by Warrington c1845. The building was awash with rainwater affecting chancel, floor tiles, pulpit and benches at time of re-survey but was said to be in process of transfer to the Redundant Churches Fund. (BoE, p 328; Goodhart-Rendel, HS: List of Victorian Churches; RCHM, Vol III, p 217 p 18).

Listing NGR: SO4058946575

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 18 and 217
Goodhart Rendel, H S , Index Of Victorian Churches
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 328

National Grid Reference: SO 40589 46575


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 09:43:29.

End of official listing