CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349845
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349845.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:13:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Monkland and Stretford
National Grid Reference:
SO 46033 57671

Details

SO 45 NE MONKLAND CP MONKLAND

5/80 Church of All Saints

11.6.59

GV II*

Parish church. C13, rebuilt by G E Street in 1866 incorporating C12, C13 and C14 fragments. Coursed and random rubble with ashlar dressings under a tile roof, the spire is shingled. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel with north vestry. The tower is C13 of three stages with a corbelled cornice and a timber broach spire. The second stage has lancets with labels, the first stage a square-headed window in each wall. West wall of ground stage has a trefoiled window with label. Nave rebuilt 1866. The south wall has four windows, from west to east alternate C12 semi-circular headed windows with tufa dressings and C14 window of two trefoiled lights with label. South porch C14 much restored timber-framing. The outer entrance has an arch-braced tie-beam. The sides are of five cinquefoiled lights. The reset south door of the late C13 has a two-centred arch and moulded label, as well as moulded jambs. The north wall of nave has two C12 windows to centre, to west a C14 trefoiled lancet, to east of two pointed lights, both with label. Chancel rebuilt 1866. South wall has a window of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head. East window of three trefoiled lights with a label which has head stops, Interior: the tower arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer continued down the Jambs, the inner with moulded capitals. Chancel arch has a two-centred head of two moulded orders, the inner order with moulded capitals and engaged respond shafts. In south wall of chancel a two-seat sedillia and a piscina. Font has plain round bowl tapering towards base, probably C13. A few C14 floor tiles are re-set around the foot of the C19 pulpit, which is decorated with four carved figures of saints. (RCHM, 3, p 150; BoE, p 254).

Listing NGR: SO4603357671

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149862
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 150
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 254

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11147/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Williamson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].