CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349854
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349854.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:54:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Brimfield
National Grid Reference:
SO 52684 67493

Details

SO 56 NW BRIMFIELD CP BRIMFIELD

4/3 Church of St Michael

11.6.59 GV II*

Parish church. C13, partly rebuilt 1834, restored 1884, 1904-5 and extended 1908. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. C13 west tower (raised C16), nave and chancel of 1834, north porch and vestry of 1908. West tower: three stages, the belfry is close-studded timber-framing, probably C16, with louvred openings of two lights on each side. First stage has a small semi-circular headed window on north and south walls. Ground stage has a C19 window with a two-centred head which cuts through a small semi-circular headed window. In north wall a blocked door with semi-elliptical head. Nave of three bays, in north wall two windows each of two trefoiled lights under a two-centred head with label. The porch at the west end of 1908 is timber-framed on a stone plinth with rendered infill. Chancel of one bay with a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in head under two- centred arch with label. East window of three trefoiled lights, tracery in head under two-centred arch. Gable north vestry of 1908. Interior: two- centred tower arch of one chamfered order with moulded label. Chancel arch semi-elliptical and plastered. Ceilings are plastered segmental vaults. Fittings: C19 pulpit with three panelled sides, the panels with pierced ogee cinquefoiled heads. Lectern of wrought iron and brass in Arts and Crafts style. Font, C13 with quatrefoil bowl on C19 quatrefoil stem and moulded base. Wall tablet to John Rose Hall, died 1858, on north wall of chancel, surmounted by an urn, and signed "T Gaffyn". On south wall tablet to Edward Pritchett, died 1834. (RCHM, III, p 25; BoE, p 86).

Listing NGR: SO5268467493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150024
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 25
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 86

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12204/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].