CHURCH OF ST GILES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GILES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349901.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 19:46:11.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GILES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Pipe Aston
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 46124 71793
SO 47 SE; 4/1
ASTON CP, ASTON, Church of St Giles
Parish church. C12, partly rebuilt and altered in C13, restored in 1879 and vestry added in 1948. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles. Two-bay nave with opposing doorways, south vestry and west bellcote and two-bay chancel.
Nave: in the west wall are two C19 round-headed lights with chevron and nailhead mouldings on the heads. There are two similarly detailed but much longer lights in the south elevation. The north elevation has a C12 round-headed light to the west of which is the north doorway. This is C12 and has plain jambs with chamfered imposts enriched with dragonesque and foliated detail. The round arch has chevron mouldings and encloses a carved tympanum. This has a central circle enclosing an Agnus Dei held by the eagle of St John and the winged bull of St Luke and is surrounded by an outer band carved with four beasts, a bird and foliage. The south vestry was added in 1948 and encloses the south doorway. It is gabled and has diagonal buttresses with offsets at the south end. There is a pair of cusped lancets at the south end and in the east side elevation. The west bellcote was rebuilt in 1879. It is gabled, has two shallow offsets and a single chamfered pointed archway for one bell of 1691 by John Martin of Worcester. The chancel was largely rebuilt in C13. It has diagonal east end buttresses with offsets, an east window of three stepped lancets with C13 splays and a C19 head and rear arch. In the north wall is a C12 round-headed light and, to the west of it, a blocked doorway with a timber lintel, probably of C17 date and which may have led to a former south vestry. In the south wall is a pair of late C13 cusped lancets and, to the west of them, is a low side window of c1500 and of one square-headed light with a C19 shutter.
INTERIOR: C13 chancel arch is two-centred and of two continuous chamfered orders. Nave roof is late C14 and has collar and tie-beam trusses and two tiers of cusped wind braces forming cross patterns between each truss. The chancel roof has a similar central truss and moulded wall plates. In the chancel is a late C17 or early C18 altar table with turned legs. Similar balustered altar rails, and a C17 chair, panelled with geometric design. In the north wall are the lintel and jambs of the blocked doorway. Within the doorway is set part of any early C14 stone coffin lid with incised decoration. On the south jamb of the chancel arch is attached a carved timber figure corbel. The east and side walls of the nave have C12 wall paintings in red pigment with addorsed flowers on stalks against a painted masonry effect background. Two corbels flank the head of the chancel arch. The font is made from a C12 stone in the form of a truncated cone, hollowed out on the base and carved with a dragon, a beast and scrolled foliage. The pulpit C19 and three-sided and there is a parish chest near the former south doorway into the vestry. This south doorway is C12 and has a round-head and plain jambs. Memorials: there is a ledger slab in the nave and chancel, probably both early C18.
Listing NGR: SO4612471798
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 8-9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 67
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing