CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1349918
Date first listed:
16-Oct-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1349918.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:46:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lyonshall
National Grid Reference:
SO 33102 56258

Details

LYONSHALL CP - SO 35 NW

4/11 Church of St Michael and All Angels 16.10.67 - II*

Parish church. Late C12 core but mainly dating from mid- and late C13, mid-C14 south aisle, west tower largely rebuilt during restoration of 1822 and further heightened in 1872-3 by G F Bodley, when south aisle was also enlarged and the porch added. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and stone slate roof, timber-framed porch. West tower, nave with north aisle and projecting north transept and south transept which does not project beyond the south aisle, south porch, chancel with north organ chamber. West tower: four stages with high plinth and embattled parapet. String course at upper stages, C19 windows to bell stage of two cusped lights and quatrefoil, two small triangular headed lights above roof level of nave to east side, small round headed light to the west on second stage. Ground stage has two triangular headed lights to north and south sides with C19 doorway to south side and 2-light C19 window to west. Nave: has four clerestorey windows to north and south, each of one trefoiled light. South side: two 2-light C19 windows to left and one similar winddw with square head to right of decorative gabled timber-framed porch, inner C14 doorway with two-centred head of two chamfered orders, 3-light window in gable end of south transept to right. North side has three 2-light C19 windows, one to right and two to left of one C13 trefoil headed light, the projecting gable end of the north transept to the left has a cusped 3-light window with a two-centred head, and a trefoil headed light to the east return. Chancel: late C13 window of two trefoil- headed lights to left, and a similar window to right of doorway with segmental head and chamfered jambs, two similar late C13 windows of two trefoil headed lights flank organ chamber to north. Late C13 east window of three plain lights, moulded label. Interior: the roofs of the nave and chancel are " largely of the C19. The organ chamber retains a C14 roof with three open arched-braced trusses and cusped wind-braces. North aisle with six-bay arcade, shafted piers with moulded capitals and bases. Two-centred arches with two chamfered orders. South aisle arcade also of six bays with the westernmost bay a C19 addition, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases; two- centred arches with two chamfered orders. C12 reset tower arch with two-centred head and two chamfered orders with chamfered imposts. Late C13 chancel arch, two-centred with two chamfered orders, the inner dying onto responds. Mid- C13 font, octofoil bowl and capitals carved with stiff-leaf foliage, stem and base late C19. C13 effigy in south aisle with head missing, figure in civilian clothing. (RCHM, Vol III, p 142; BoE, p 244).

Listing NGR: SO3310256258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150269
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 142
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 244

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12282/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].