CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1350229
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350229.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:14:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Abbots Morton
National Grid Reference:
SP 02674 54973

Details

SP 05 SW; 8/2

ABBOTS MORTON CP, ABBOTS MORTON

Church of St Peter

30.07.59

I

Parish church. Late C12 with mid-C14; and early C15 extensions, restoration of 1637, C19 and C20 repairs. Sandstone ashlar and lias with sandstone ashlar dressings, machine tile roofs. West tower, nave, north transept, chancel.

West tower: early C15, two stages, crenellated parapet, eroded gargoyles to corners, corner pinnacles lost, diagonal buttresses, string course; belfry stage: a window of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head with label; ground stage: west window of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. Nave: south wall C12, rest rebuilt early C15. South wall: three bays, central early C15 timber-framed porch, mostly rendered with Tudor- arch opening; south door: segmental 2-centred arch with moulded jambs; porch flanked to left by single-light square-headed window in chamfered reveal, to right a restored three trefoiled-light window under square head. North door blocked has segmental 2-centred head, impost blocks, chamfered jambs; rest of wall blind. North transept: mid-C14, north window: two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head in chamfered reveal; east window: three trefoiled lights under square head. Chancel: rebuilt to full width of nave mid-C14; two bays, south wall: single-light square-headed window to left, to right window of three cinquefoiled lights under square head, possibly early C16; priests' door between has square head; north vestry late C19; east window: two ogee trefoil-headed lights under 2-centred head, with inscription in leaded letters above: "RL HE/ IH [IT] RE 1637".

INTERIOR: tower arch 2-centred of two orders, continuously moulded with jambs; arch to north transept a Tudor arch, late C19. Roofs: nave: early C15, three bays, trusses have lower collar with solid angle braces and an upper collar; two tiers of purlins, some with straight wind braces; divided from chancel by plastered truss with tie beam; chancel: single bay, brattished wall plate over moulded stone string. Fittings: C17 bobbin turned altar rails with contemporary communion table; late C19 plain circular font in C12 style; two C15 wooden benches in porch. Stained glass in north window of north chapel, C18 heraldic panel above two C15 fragments; two pieces of late C16 Flemish glass in east window of chancel.

Listing NGR: SP0267554974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148275
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 351-352
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 68-69

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/03442/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].