CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1350279
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350279.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:38:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Inkberrow
National Grid Reference:
SP 01613 57205

Details

SP 01 57; 10/74

INKBERROW CP, CHURCH ROAD (south side)

Church of St Peter

30.07.59

GV

I

Parish church. Early C15 incorporating probably C12 foundations, with late C15, early C16 and 1784 alterations; 1887 restoration by Ewan Christian. Sandstone ashlar, slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle and north chapel, north porch, south transept.

West tower: early C15, four stages, crenellated parapet, corner pinnacles, gargoyles below parapet; belfry stage: two trefoiled light window under 2-centred head; second stage: small square-headed window; west window on first stage: four cinquefoil lights under 2-centred head in chamfered reveal with label; west door: 4-centred arch with label. Nave and north aisle: early C15, aisle added late C15; north wall: five bays divided by stepped buttresses capped by pinnacles, crenellated parapet wall with moulded string course below, chamfered plinth; north porch in second bay from west rebuilt late C19: ogee-headed door with label, north door has 2-centred head with roll moulding and label, windows of three 2-centred lights under 2-centred head, the eastern window with four rather than three lights; south wall: four bays, three to west have three trefoiled light windows under 2-centred head in chamfered reveal; between two west windows a door with pointed segmental arch of two chamfered orders; east bay filled by south transept (Dormston Chapel) of 1784: three trefoiled light window under 2-centred head. Chancel: largely rebuilt 1887, small portion of C14 work in north wall with two trefoiled light window with square head; east window: three trefoiled lights under segmental pointed head; south wall: eastern window of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred heads, west window of two trefoiled lights under square head; priests' door between with pointed segmental head, chamfered surround.

INTERIOR: nave: tall tower arch with 2-centred head and two chamfered orders moulded continuously down jambs, containing organ; four-bay arcade to north aisle: 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with simple moulded capitals; arch to south transept: 2-centred arch with two chamfered orders, the inner dying into the responds; chancel arch 2-centred with two chamfered orders, responds have engaged shafts. Chancel: three-seat sedillia, each with a trefoiled head and piscina with 2-centred head in south wall. Roofs: all late C19; chancel: three-bay arch-braced collar roof; nave: Tudor arched barrel vault, plastered with timber ribs; lean-to roof over north aisle, south transept has rafter roof with scissor braces. Fittings: pulpit at south-east corner of nave, late C18 with Gothick panels; C17 communion table in north chapel; memorial to John Savage, died 1631 in south transept, table tomb bearing recumbent stone effigy with canopy supported on Corinthian columns, soffit of canopy has Gothic quatrefoil panels with sub-cusping, an interesting example of Gothic survival; square font on square pier, each side decorated with three medallions, bearing designs including lamb, cross and fleur-de-lys, soffit decorated with dog tooth ornament, c1200. Glass: east window north chapel C15 fragments in head and in west window of north aisle.

Listing NGR: SP0161357205

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148348
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 427-429
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 200-201

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15152/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].