SU 43 SE HEADBOURNE WORTHY LONDON ROAD
6/22 Church of St Swithin
Parish church. Early C11, C13, C14, C15 restored c,1865-6 by G. E.Street. Rubble
flint with stone dressings, partly rendered, old plain tile roof. Saxon church
of chancel and nave with on the outer W wall great sculptured rood, C13 SW tower,
C13 and C14 repairs, C15 annexe built on at W (Pevsner suggests this is C11), C19
S porch and N chancel wall. Chancel has plinth, Saxon long and short quoins and to
S a lesene. E window C19 3-light trefoiled perp, to S in centre high-up C19 lancet
and to W restored C14 2-light trefoiled and transomed window, to N organ recess.
Nave has long and short quoins and to N 3 reset lesenes, to S C15 E and E central
stepped buttresses, tower to W and W central porch against it, 2 high set perp
2-light cinquefoiled windows mainly C19, to N C19 E flying buttress, in centre
2 C15 stepped buttresses, to E C13 trefoiled lancet, in centre C15 2-light
cinquefoiled window, to W C19 perp window. Tower low with hip on E face middle
stage and weatherboarded top stage, hipped roof, W face has buttresses and C13
lancet with similar restored C19 above. On E built against tower gabled stone
porch with moulded pointed arch, and in porch is 4-centred recess with carved
spandrels. W annexe has plinth and long and short quoins, to S small rectangular
light with at top of wall C15 3-light 4-centred square headed window with similar
to N and 4-centred W door. Inside chancel SE window has widely splayed rear arch,
below sedillia separated by mullions with later segmental heads, square headed
piscina recess with shelf, in lilt brass 1434 to John Kent. C19 barrel-vaulted roof.
C19 rounded headed chancel arch of 2 moulded orders with C19 timber screen below.
Nave has widely splayed opening to N windows, in SE is C13 piscina muc defaced,
S door C13 pointed arch with C19 inner trefoiled order and double shamfered hambs.
SW door to tower has 4-centred head. W wall all Saxon with original semi-circular
arch with imposts and to W projecting architrave around opening and old studded
door. Font is circular with moulded bowl and base rect. Pulpit of uncertain
date has carved timber open tracery. Roof is C15 barrel vault with 3 moulded purlin
purlins inside barrel and moulded arch braces between bays with bosses at
crossings. W annexe once was 2 floors. Above door life-size rood in relief:
Christ, the Virgin and St John, Hand of God above, defaced. 20 medieval tiles.
Slabs: 1686 Rev Robert Fishwick, 1757 Jane Pyle, 1774 Ambrose Pyle: benefactors
board, arch braced roof. VCH; 1911; Vol 4; p 428-30. 'Buildings of England';
N Pevsner; Penguin, 1966, p 285-6.
Listing NGR: SU4857932084