This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1350483



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Itchen Valley

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 145608

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



14/32 Church of St Mary 5.12.55


Parish church. 1768 - 71. Brick with Portland stone dressings, old plain tile roof, with lead ridges. Single cell 3 bay church and W tower. Moulded brick plinth and bays divided by pilasters with plinth and cornice carried round, and at ends pilasters clasp round corners. Venetian E window and on N side a central door with window each side and on S door at W and 2 windows to E, all with arched opening of rubbed brick with stone key blocks and leaded glazing. Doorways with stone rustication of alternating sizes. Cornice all round with battlemented parapet. Tower of 3 stages with clasping corner buttress pilasters, moulded brick strings and battlemented cresting. Inside all features extremely well preserved. Plastered wall above panelled dado to height of the box pews, cornices and coved plaster ceiling. Reredos with open segmental pediment. Wrought iron or lead altar rails. Pulpit with domed tester in centre on S. W gallery dated 1771; on it barrel organ in Gothick case given in 1848 by Lady Shelley. Below grey marble baluster font and above royal coat of arms of George III. All furnishings of Spanish mahogany. C18 brass chandelier. Monuments: 1751 to George Bridges of yellow, grey and pink marble, inscribed base, above sarcophagus with urn in middle behind 2 columns supporting broken pediment; 1768 to Marchioness of carvarvon, who commissioned church, of pink and white marble with long inscription panel, above in middle obelisk, each side urn; 1786 to John Jeffreys; 1836 to Duke of Buckingham and Chandos; 1865 to Mrs. Peel, daughter of Shelley; 1866 Sir John Shelley.

Listing NGR: SU5321032083

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 53288 32252


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350483 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 06:58:58.

End of official listing