Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of HURSLEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350548.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 09:41:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 42256 25413



10/1 Hursley House 5/12/55 II*

Large country house. 1721-4, possibly by John James for Heathcote family, enlarged and remodelled 1902-3 by A M Mackenzie for Sir George Cooper. Brick with stone dressings, slate roof. C18 central part of 2 storeys and attic on raised basement, 11 bays with slightly projecting centre, 3 bays with portico on both sides, in 1903 to each end 3 bay cross-wings, projecting a bay added, along with porte cochére to N entrance front, and glass and stone conservatory at one end. N entrance front has in basement small 6-pane sashes in segmental heads. Ground floor string course. In centre stone porte cochére of 2 Doric columns on plinth each side of double doors in architrave, with heavy entablature and low parapet, enclosing steps, and encroaching on stone Doric portico to centre 3 bays. Each side 4 tall 18-pane sashes with stone sills. On 1st floor level recessed panels above and below 18-pane sashes, except for centre bays. Wings are similar to centre with stone quoins, basement and Doric portico, and 3 15-pane sashes on ground and 3 18-pane sashes above with apron below. Stone cornice to hipped roof with pedimented dormers containing 12-pane sashes. To centre of roof raised viewing platform with stone balustrade, and large stacks with stone heads at corners and similar stacks symmetrically positioned. Inside central 1903 full depth hall, formerly lined with G Gibbons panelling from Winchester College Chapel, removed except for door panels, but these and other late C17 style features probably are 1903. Off central hall run corridors along middle of building. Room to right of centre on entrance front c1820 room with neo-classical fireplace of pilasters and decorated frieze. On other side of corridor 2 small rooms of bolection panelling and overmantles of C17 linen fold and arcaded panelling. Further along in wing Wedgewood room of reassembled Adam plasterwork and fireplace. At end of corridor staircase containing C18 parts. To left of centre on entrance front Library with reused C18 panelling. On opposite side Boudoir c19O5 with C16 strap- work panelling with pilasters. Across a corner is Elizabethan fireplace of carved oolitic limestone with carved timber overmantle. Pevsner says of it 'A term atlas and a term caryatid imprisoned in strapwork and a lintel with 4 parts of the world most entertainingly portrayed and provided with a multitude of animals'. In drawing room beside some C18 panelling and fire- place. Country Life; Vol. XVI; p ; & Vol. XXIII: p

Listing NGR: SP4375931385


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, ()
'Country Life' in Country Life, ()


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11343/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G. Jim Love. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].