CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1350689
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, KING ALFRED PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350689.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Jul-2020 at 23:28:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, KING ALFRED PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 48140 30174

Details



869/1/147 KING ALFRED PLACE 24-MAR-50 (North side) CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

GV II* Church. Sited in a churchyard, close to the remains of the gate to Hyde Abbey. C12 origins (S doorway; N arcade) but the work of this period has either been thoroughly re-tooled or copied in the C19. The tower is probably C15. The chancel was rebuilt 1857-9 by Colson. The N side of the church is thought to be rebuilt 1879-80. Chancel refurbished in 1912. MATERIALS: Flint with freestone dressings, the tower chequered knapped flint and freestone; tiled roofs. PLAN: W tower, nave with 4-bay N arcade under a catslide roof; chancel; N transept; NE chapel with vestry abutting its N side; SW porch.

EXTERIOR: The S wall is medieval or earlier with scattered windows, all apparently renewed in the C19: two with Perpendicular style tracery and one trefoil-headed lancet. Shallow gabled C19 porch with a round-headed outer doorway. The inner doorway is c1130 in style, round-headed with zig-zag and billet mouldings, nook shafts and a tympanum carved with sunk triangles. Pevsner considers it to be retooled. The porch includes a pillar piscina from the church of Hyde Abbey. The W tower has diagonal E buttresses and a low pyramidal roof. Small 2-light belfry windows with chamfered lights in a square-headed frame. Chamfered W doorway to tower. The N aisle wall has a buttressed wall and 3 large gabled half dormers in the catslide roof. These have paired windows with cusped lights below a quatrefoil. The N aisle has a shallow W end porch. The 1859 chancel has a triple lancet E window. The NE chapel has 2-light C19 plate traceried windows. The vestry has an E doorway and a tall chimney shaft with 4-way gables at the top.

INTERIOR: The 4-bay N arcade has round columns with volute capitals round double roll-moulded round-headed arches. Very wide round-headed chancel arch. 4-centred chamfered tower arch. C19 roofs, crown post and tie beam to the nave, the crown posts with 2-way braces; canted scissor-braced chancel roof and an A-frame roof to the NE chapel. The chancel has a timber reredos with a fretted frame, marble paving and a timber dado with a plaque giving a refurbishment date of 1912. The choir stalls are probably early C20, with poppyhead ends and chancel screen and rood figure. 20 nave benches. Plain font with a square bowl on a cylindrical stem. Polygonal timber pulpit with a brattished cornice and statues in niches. High quality architectural fragments of c1130 from Hyde Abbey. Several wall plaques, mostly C19 in date.

HISTORY: Originally the parish church of Hyde, now absorbed into Winchester.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A church of C12 origins, with a later medieval tower, with high quality architectural fragments from Hyde Abbey.

SOURCES Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, 1967, p 296; Victoria County History, Hampshire, Vol V, pp 69-70

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144671
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1912), 69-70
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 296

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/10934/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Micaela Basford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].