ST PETER'S CHURCH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1350729
Date first listed:
14-Jan-1974
Statutory Address:
ST PETER'S CHURCH HALL, ST PETER STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350729.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Jul-2020 at 00:53:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST PETER'S CHURCH HALL, ST PETER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 48074 29655

Details

ST PETER STREET 1. 1833 (West Side) SU 4829 NW 3/300 St Peter's Church Hall II 2. Set back between Jewry Street and St Peter Street with access by a passage from the latter. Built in 1792 on the site of a house previously used for Catholic worship. An early example of Gothic Revival designed by John Carter and described and illustrated in its original state in Bishop Milner's History of Winchester (Vol II p251). Converted to a hall on building of new Church, the interior has lost its furnishings and decoration whilst the exterior has also lost some of its original delicate ornament. Large rectangular hall. Red brick with flint panels to rear. The front to St Peter Street is cement rendered articulated by shelved buttresses, originally crowned by pinnacles carried up over cranellated parapet. String below parapet ornamented with rosettes and small plaques bearing symbols of St Peter. 7 pointed windows, one set above porch. 3 lights with wood tracery. Drip moulds, over on head stops. Later gabled porch to right. Pointed entrance with drop mould over, the North wall has 2 pointed windows and quatre foil to centre.

Listing NGR: SU4810929678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144795
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Milner, B, History of Winchester251

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16923/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].