PENINSULAR BARRACKS CHAPEL AND SCHOOLROOM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1350752
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1985
Statutory Address:
PENINSULAR BARRACKS CHAPEL AND SCHOOLROOM, ROMSEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350752.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-May-2021 at 19:51:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
PENINSULAR BARRACKS CHAPEL AND SCHOOLROOM, ROMSEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 47847 29264

Details

ROMSEY ROAD 1. 5241 SU 4729 SE 5/451 Peninsular Barracks Chapel and Schoolroom II 2. SCHOOLROOM AND CHAPEL. 1852, with later C19 additions. Walls of red brick with coursed squared flint panels and Portland Stone dressings. Roofs slated except south porch, asphalt. Simple rectangular plan, partitioned to give schoolroom to south and chapel to north; entered via low porch to south. Late C19 additions to chapel. East and West elevations Ubays, separated by brick pilasters with stone imposts, from which spring segemental arches carrying a continuous eaves. Each bay has a 40 pane cast iron window (the centre modified to open) in an opening with stone cill, brick jambs and cambered brick arch set in a panel of flintwork. Shallow pitched roof; gables treated as pediments (open to north) with stucco cornices and oculus to south. Apse (to north) and porch (to west) added 1891 in Neo-Norman style, red brick walls, the apse with a moulded string course, stepped corbel-table and 3 narrow lights vestries to east and west at north end later C19 gothic. Utilitarian interior, with painted brick walls and queen post trusses exposed to collar level. Built for the Royal Greenjackets, before the 1857 regulation requiring the provision of regimental schools. (Hampshire Chronicle, 1851-2).

Listing NGR: SU4771429457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144909
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Hampshire Chronicle' in Hampshire Chronicle, (1852)
'Hampshire Chronicle' in Hampshire Chronicle, (1851)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/14689/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].