CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351310
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351310.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:35:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ETHELBERT, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Herringswell
National Grid Reference:
TL 71806 69953

Details

TL 76 NW HERRINGSWELL THE STREET

6/33 Church of St. Ethelbert - 7/5/54 - II*

Church, mediaeval, restored 1869 by A.W. Blomfield after a major fire. Nave, chancel, south transeptal chapel, south porch, west tower, north vestry. Flint rubble with freestone quoins and parapet gables. Plaintiled roofs; the tower roof is flat behind crenellated parapets. Both nave and chancel have areas of C12 coursed rubble walling; at the north-east corner of the nave is an angle- shaft with cushion capital. Transept added C14, with 2- and 3-light windows; the south window has an image niche above and a quatrefoil vent at the apex. Chancel extended and nave and chancel walls raised mid C14. 3-light net- traceried east window and 2-light side windows inserted; also hood-moulded doorway now leading to C19 vestry, and south nave doorway. Image niches of C14 are found in outer walls of:- south transept, east diagonal chancel buttresses, flanking central west tower buttress, and over south doorway. Further niches in the chancel flank the east window. Double piscina in chancel, with central moulded pillar; the gabled arches with crocketing and pinnacles were renewed 1869. Late C14 chancel arch (restored). Porch of late C14 has pilastered doorway and 2-light side windows; butt purlin roof of, perhaps, C16. Circular stoup beside south doorway is perhaps Norman, reset on later polygonal stem. C14 tower with large south stair turret; lion-head gargoyles, flushwork parapets and 2-light belfry openings are alterations of late C15. Of c.1500 are the unusual piers supporting the east tower walls, braced by flying buttresses to the extended aisle walls; the north 2-light window is contemporary. Roofs were rebuilt 1869; nave roof with arch-braced collar-beam trusses in 4 bays, chancel roof canted and boarded. Of 1869 are 3 nave windows, pointed, with Y-tracery; also the octagonal limestone font. Good stained glass in most windows of c.1900, depicting pastoral subjects of local significance.

Listing NGR: TL7180669953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275774
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11109/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Wilding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].