RUIN OF CHARNEL HOUSE ABOUT 10 METRES SOUTH OF THE SOUTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1351323

Date first listed: 07-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Oct-1984

Statutory Address: RUIN OF CHARNEL HOUSE ABOUT 10 METRES SOUTH OF THE SOUTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE CHURCHARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUIN OF CHARNEL HOUSE ABOUT 10 METRES SOUTH OF THE SOUTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351323 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 19:06:17.

Location

Statutory Address: RUIN OF CHARNEL HOUSE ABOUT 10 METRES SOUTH OF THE SOUTH AISLE OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE CHURCHARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath (District Authority)

Parish: Mildenhall

National Grid Reference: TL 71045 74579

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7174 MILDENHALL THE CHURCHYARD

12/36 Ruin of Charnel House, - about 10m. south of the 7.5.54 south aisle of Church of - St. Mary. (Formerly listed as Remains II of Chapel in Churchyard)

Ruined charnel house, 1387, for Ralph de Walsham. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. The main feature is a late C19 moulded arched doorway in the C13 Gothic style, added when the ruin was adapted for the vault of the Read family; framed by the doorway is a limestone slab inscribed with epitaphs to several of their number. To right are remains of steps up to the chapel of St. Michael which was built above the charnel house.

Listing NGR: TL7104574579

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 275845

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing