This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRANDON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRANDON HALL

List entry Number: 1351338

Location

BRANDON HALL, TOWN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brandon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Oct-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275822

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 78 NE BRANDON TOWN STREET

1/13 Brandon Hall

7.5.54 (Formerly listed under General) - II*

House. c.1730 with late C17 core. Main range of 2 windows, recessed between projecting wings of 2 windows wide. 2 storeys. Knapped flint with red brick headers; quoins, set-back moulded plinth and 1st floor string all of red brick. Hipped slated roof rebuilt C19 after fire; axial chimneys of red brick. C18 small-pane sash windows with fielded panelled internal shutters, within earlier segmental arched openings. C18 entrance door with 2 lower panels and 12-light glazed upper part. Late C17 shell canopy cantilevered on heavily carved and enriched console brackets. Limestone semi-circular entrance steps. The entrance hall and 2 front parlours have complete fielded panelling. In the entrance hall is a segmental-arched and panel led opening to the staircase, which has turned balusters, moulded and wreathed handrails, console brackets to treads and dado panelling. The rear elevation was remodel led mid C18; gault brick with dressings of red brick, windows with segmental arched heads of finely gauged brick and small-pane sashes with arched heads. Rear entrance door similar to front door, with flat canopy on carved console brackets. To right is a mid C19 2-storey extension, and to left a billiard room extension of c.1900, both having walling of knapped flint with quoins of red brick. A legal document dated 1708 describes the house as "newly built".

Listing NGR: TL7704886166

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 77048 86166

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351338 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 05:03:54.

End of official listing