WAMIL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351352
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
WAMIL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAMIL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351352 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 19:15:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAMIL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Mildenhall
National Grid Reference:
TL 69557 74403

Details

TL 67 SE MILDENHALL WAMIL

8/86 Wamil Hall (Formerly listed under 7.5.54 General - II

House, late C16, with truncations and alterations of c.1900 and c.1955, both following serious fires. Probably built for Sir Henry Warner (d.1617). From the south (garden) front:- 2 storeys, partly with attics. The range to left of clunch, formerly rendered, with limestone dressings; set-forward plinth of red brick with limestone dressings. Parapet gables with moulded limestone copings and ball finials on plinths. To right is a brick-nogged timber-framed service wing of 2 bays; to right again is a rendered extension probably of c.1900. Plaintiled roofs with C20 hipped plaintiled casement dormers. 3 axial C16 or C17 chimneys of red brick with square flues; moulded caps and bases, perhaps restored. The left-hand range has a number of limestone windows with moulded mullions and labels above. To left is the truncated walling of the destroyed central staircase block. The north entrance front has 6 C16 limestone mullioned windows and central entrance doorway with square moulded head and label above; boarded and battened original oak door. One room has full oak wainscotting and good fireplace surround, all of c.1900, but perhaps with fragments of earlier work; moulded 1st floor beams of C16.

Listing NGR: TL6955774403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275897
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].