CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351596
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, B1070

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351596 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 12:36:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, B1070

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Holton St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
TM 05927 36787

Details

TM 03 NE HOLTON ST MARY B1070 (south west side) 2/3 Church of St Mary 22.2.55 GV II* Church. C13-C15, restored 1882. Flint with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. Apparently truncated west tower, aisleless 2-bay nave and chancel. West tower 2 stages on flushwork plinth, diagonal offset buttresses, later brick embattled parapet and small amount of patching at summit. 2-light Perpendicular west window. C19 south porch contains two pews with poppyhead bench ends. Moulded south door under hoodmould with worn head stops surmounted by pointed niche. 2-light curvi- linear windows to nave. C14 moulded north door with worn head stops. Chancel at lower level. Restored Y-tracery windows, moulded priests door. Two offset buttresses. Renewed east window with intersecting tracery, east wall possibly rebuilt. Vestry to north. Interior: rendered walls. C19 barrel roof. C15 tower arch on half-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. C15 octagonal panelled font on earlier base. C13 piscina with cusped arch on nook shafts with moulded capitals.



Listing NGR: TM0592736787

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277201
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13667/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerry Free. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].