Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1351619

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: HALF MOON, THE STREET


Ordnance survey map of HALF MOON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351619 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 20:45:24.


Statutory Address: HALF MOON, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: Burstall

National Grid Reference: TM 09566 44715


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TM 04 SE BURSTALL THE STREET 3/5 Half Moon (formerly listed as Half 22.2.55 Moon Public House) - II House, formerly public house, converted from row of cottages. C16 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, brick faced and rendered, replacing braided pargetting, some of which survives at rear, tile roof. L-plan. 3 cell, lobby entrance plan, kitchen/bakehouse to rear, and added right hand bay; formerly a 2 bay open hall. 2 storeys. Scattered fenestration of timber casements, door set in brick porch, all 1970's. Axial brick stack, probably inserted. Interior: Left hand cell, heavy jowelled posts and chamfered main beam. 4-light diamond mullioned window with shutter groove in rear wall. Hall, jowelled posts, chamfered at first floor level, one terminating with jewel stop. Inserted ground floor ceiling beam, coarsely chamfered with run-out stop. Blocked full height 4-light diamond mullion window on rear wall. Bressummr carved with mark resembling spectacles. First floor, left hand room, 5-light diamond mullion window on rear wall, adjacent to stack. Stack decorated with monochrome linear painting or stencil, c1600, depicting heads and foliage. Rear room, blocked 2-tight diamond mullion window. Roof largely C20, but original rafters survive cut off at purlin level. Tie beams cut over hall. Said to have been a projecting box bed over porch or doorway. Kitchen and bakehouse retains bread oven. Before restoration of 1970's, pargetting to front dated 1732 or 1737.

Listing NGR: TM0956644715


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 277333

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing