ERWARTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351638
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
ERWARTON HALL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ERWARTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 11:33:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
ERWARTON HALL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Arwarton
National Grid Reference:
TM 22297 35122

Details

TM 23 NW ERWARTON THE STREET

3/12 Erwarton Hall

GV II*

House. Said to have been rebuilt circa 1575 by Sir Philip Parker and partly reconstructed 1858, later alterations and additions. Red brick. Hipped red tiled roof. Left and rear right chimneystacks. 2 storeys and attics 0:2:1:2:1:2 window range, the two single bays are 2 storey and attic gables, that to right with ground floor porch. 2 first floor and 1½ ground floor windows are blocked. Mainly brick and stone 3-light windows with mullions and transoms, the left bay windows of 5 lights. Some labels over. Vertically boarded door to left of left bay. The porch doorway with 4-centred arch, square head and sunk spandrels. Above the doorway is the Parker shield of arms and crest. To right is a single storey brick extension with red pantiled roof. Said to contain a plaster ceiling with pendant bosses, an original overmantel with three tiers of short blank arcading and a late C17 well staircase with turned balusters, handrail and newel posts. N Pevsner. 'Suffolk' 1961.

Listing NGR: TM2229735122

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277431
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1961)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16655/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].