SOUTH MARTELLO TOWER APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES EAST OF BRISTOL HILL ON THE SITE OF FORMER HMS GANGES, ROYAL NAVAL TRAINING ESTABLISHMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351654
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
SOUTH MARTELLO TOWER APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES EAST OF BRISTOL HILL ON THE SITE OF FORMER HMS GANGES, ROYAL NAVAL TRAINING ESTABLISHMENT, BRISTOL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH MARTELLO TOWER APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES EAST OF BRISTOL HILL ON THE SITE OF FORMER HMS GANGES, ROYAL NAVAL TRAINING ESTABLISHMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 00:26:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH MARTELLO TOWER APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES EAST OF BRISTOL HILL ON THE SITE OF FORMER HMS GANGES, ROYAL NAVAL TRAINING ESTABLISHMENT, BRISTOL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Shotley
National Grid Reference:
TM 24829 33656

Details

TM 23 SW SHOTLEY off BRISTOL HILL

6/55 South Martello Tower approx 200 metres east of Bristol Hill on the site of former HMS Ganges, Royal Naval Training Establishment

- II

Martello Tower. Circa 1808-1812. Roughcast brick. Stone rusticated dressings with keystones to 4 doorways. Windows blocked. Stone coping. The large circular tower now supports a tall metal tower with pointed leaded roof, a C20 brick look- out room and a mast with 2 yards. The ground floor is brick vaulted, the arch springing from a brick centre column. Built as part of defensive system to East and South Coasts during theNapebleonic war.This tower is of the larger, elliptical East Coast type.

Listing NGR: TM2482933656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277507
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/05864/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].