CHAPEL ADJOINING NORTH WEST OF JANE WALKER HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351946
Date first listed:
10-Mar-1992
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL ADJOINING NORTH WEST OF JANE WALKER HOSPITAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL ADJOINING NORTH WEST OF JANE WALKER HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351946 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2019 at 06:32:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL ADJOINING NORTH WEST OF JANE WALKER HOSPITAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Nayland-with-Wissington
National Grid Reference:
TL 95142 34320

Details

NAYLAND WITH WISSINGTON - TL 93 SE 15/10001 Chapel adjoining NW of Jane Walker Hospital GV II

Chapel of Jane Walker Hospital (qv). 1908 by Smith and Brewer for the East Anglian Sanatorium company. Roughcast brick. Gable-ended plain tile roof. Plan: Nave with west end entrance and chancel under one roof with small transeptal organ wing on north side on chancel. Edwardian Free Style. Exterior:, West end has doorway with side lights and flat canopy above which is large semi-circular window in gable. The north and south sides of the nave have 3 bays divided by battered buttresses which rise through the deep eaves with gabled tops; under the eaves 5-light window bands with leaded panes. Similar corner buttresses at east gable end which has small 3-light stone mullion window high up in gable. Gable-ended north transept with corner buttresses and Venetian window. Small open timber bellcote with hipped roof on ridge. 2 flat-roof dormers on either side. Leaded pane casements throughout. Interior: Plain plastered walls and polygonal barrel- vaulted ceiling. Open timber screen with rood in plastered arch above. Source: A Service, Edwardian Architecture, p209

Listing NGR: TL9514234320

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
278703
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Service, A, Edwardian Architecture a Handbook to Building Design in Britain 1890-1914, (1977), 209

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].