VAUXHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351957
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1990
Statutory Address:
VAUXHALL, VAUXHALL DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of VAUXHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 07:19:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
VAUXHALL, VAUXHALL DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Wenham Magna
National Grid Reference:
TM 07228 40842

Details

TM 04 SE GREAT WENHAM VAUXHALL DRIVE 1/73A Vauxhall

II

House. Circa 1500. Timber framed and plastered, red plain tiled roof, large off centre red brick chimney stack. 2 storeys and attics. C19 barge boards with pendants to return gables. A long building with 2 first floor and 2 ground floor windows, central C20 gabled porch. All windows C20 3-light casements with transoms, attic window to return. There is a C18/C19 restored C20 red brick rear window range, gabled C20 porch. Internally the large back to back inglenook fireplaces are blocked but one large cambered mantel beam is exposed; coved cornices to ceilings. Flat section ceiling beams, stop chamfered bridging joists. Jowled storey posts to around and first floors. Tie beams originally arched braced with 3 pegs. Closely set wall studs. Blocked original window. Halved and bridled top plate scarf. Side purlin roof with heavy cambered collars. Moated site. The Manor and Advowson of Great Wneham were anciently held by the Vaux Family and later appropriated to Leight Priory, Essex. White's "Directory of Suffolk" 1844.

Listing NGR: TM0722840842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
278848
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Suffolk, (1844)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].