HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL, MAIN BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351967
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL, MAIN BUILDING, HIGHCROFT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL, MAIN BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351967 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 07:29:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL, MAIN BUILDING, HIGHCROFT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 10088 91492

Details

SP 19 SW BIRMINGHAM HIGHCROFT ROAD

997/4/10148 Highcroft Hospital, main building II

Former Aston Union Workhouse. 1869 by Yeoville Thomason. Built by Jeffrey & Pritchard. Red brick with blue brick and stone dressings and bands. Tiled roofs with a deep enriched eaves cornice. High Victorian Gothic style. Slightly projecting central bay of 5 windows flanked by long ranges. 3 storeys. Brick and stone banded round-arched entrance surmounted by a Gothic traceried pediment inscribed "Aston Union/This memorial stone was laid by Thomas Colmore Esquire/Chairman of the Board of Guardians/AD 1869/Yeoville Thomason Architect/Jeffery & Pritchard Builders. Ground and 1st floor 4-pane sashes with patterned cambered arch heads; 2nd floor small-pane sashes with patterned pointed heads. Flanking ranges in similar style. Appearing from behind the entrance, the rectangular plan tower with arcaded pointed windows and pyramidal roof having a tall brick chimney stack at each angle and surmounted by a louvered cupola. Interior: Entrance hall with timber brackets supporting a currently clad stained glass ceiling, originally lit from the tower windows. 2 pointed arch doorways flank a large pointed arch over a stair to the rear recreation hall with heavy timber arch-braced open truss roof and stage.



Listing NGR: SP1008891492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471803
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].