HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL FRONT ENTRANCE RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351968
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL FRONT ENTRANCE RANGE, HIGHCROFT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL FRONT ENTRANCE RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 08:21:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGHCROFT HOSPITAL FRONT ENTRANCE RANGE, HIGHCROFT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 10114 91458

Details

SP 19 SW BIRMINGHAM HIGHCROFT ROAD

997/4/10149 Highcroft Hospital front entrance range

II

Front range of the former Aston Union Workhouse (qv). 1869 by Yeoville Thomason. Red brick with stone and blue brick dressing and decoration. Terracotta plaques. Tiled gabled roofs with finials and tall brick chimney stacks. Central archway flanked by ranges each with 3 projecting and gabled bays. Equilateral arch of banded red and blue brick and stone with a moulded hood rests on stone stiff-leaf bands. Gable eaves have brick modillions and moulding. Open hammerbeam roof to the vault. Wings with pointed arch windows to all but one of the projecting bays; some with stained glass top lights. Penultimate gables with blind brick oculi. Blocking course frieze of enriched terracotta tablets. Interior: to left a blue and red quarry-tiled corridor with zig-zag patterned border. The boardroom, with Gothic window and door surrounds and roof trusses on colonette corbels, has a liver-coloured marble fireplace with an overplaque stating that the boardroom was re-erected in 1889 by J G Dunn ARIBA and P W Hipkiss.



Listing NGR: SP1011491458

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471804
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].