STAND UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351972
Date first listed:
10-Dec-1998
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Feb-1999
Statutory Address:
STAND UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, STAND LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STAND UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:52:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
STAND UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, STAND LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD 79268 06103

Details

SD 70 NE 326/7/10047 10/12.98 STAND LANE Radcliffe

Stand United Reformed Church

II

United Reformed Church. 1885. By J.P. Pritchett of Darlington. Coursed sandstone, ashlar details, slate roof. A tall 5-bay nave with slightly lower chancel at the west end; low flanking side aisles and a 4-stage tower with spire at the SE corner. Decorated Gothic style. The main facade faces east and has entrances left and right: shallow projecting gabled porches with double doors. Two 2-light windows between the entrances, and the foundation stone with inscription: This memorial stone/ of Stand Independent Church/ was laid by/ Alexander Anderson BA Pastor/XXV July AD MDCCCLXXXV/ Joseph Bentley Esq Treasurer Building Fund/ Walter Allen Esq Secretary/ J P Pritchett Esq of Darlington Architect'. Large 5-light west window; the tower has 2-light windows, a clock and belfry stage, crocketted finials, broach spire with lucarnes. West end: 5-light chancel window; narrow doors with ornate hinges far left and right. The south side windows are in pointed arches to aisle and have square head to clerestory and chancel; all are blocked. Interior: arcades have octagonal composite columns, foliate capitals and ashlar arches; the fine timber barrel-vaulted roof has brackets carved with figures of angels. East end tiered gallery; nave pews with umbrella stands; ornate wrought iron hand rail and carved panelling to pulpit, chancel walls and organ which is by Jardine and Co of Manchester, 1898. Fine stained glass windows including west window (the Sermon on the Mount) over a terracotta panel by Roland Morris, both c1885; 4 north aisle windows and war memorial window by T Curtis of Ward and Hughes, 1895-98 and 1920. J P Pritchett of Darlington was the son of the architect James Piggot Pritchett of York. He designed a number of churches including Pudsey Congregational Church 1865-6, Ilkley Congregational Church 1868, Armley Mortuary Chapel Leeds 1885, and the cemetery chapels at Colne.

Listing NGR: SD7926806103

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471808
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66869

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02774/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].