Tottington Methodist Church


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Tottington Methodist Church, Market Street, Tottington, Bury, BL8 3LJ


Ordnance survey map of Tottington Methodist Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351974 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:13:54.


Statutory Address:
Tottington Methodist Church, Market Street, Tottington, Bury, BL8 3LJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


This list entry is subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/06/2018

SD 71 SE 326/5/10045

MARKET STREET Tottington Methodist Church

(Formerly listed as Methodist Church, SPRING STREET)

II Methodist church. 1905. By Arthur Brocklebank of Waterfoot. Coursed gritstone in diminishing courses, ashlar dressings; small slates to pitched roof, terracotta ridge cresting with two wood and lead ventilators, gable copings.

Five bay nave; main south entrance flanked by three stage attached bays with hipped roofs; two bay chancel flanked by bays roofed at right-angles. Gothic and Art Nouveau style; aligned north-south; the ground slopes down to the south so that the south entrance is above the street level and basement rooms are entered at the south east corner through boarded double doors with ivy-decorated strap hinges.

The south front: board double doors set in ashlar surround with flanking stepped buttresses; three-light window above with decorated tracery. Stepped buttresses at nave corners, terminating in octagonal shafts with tapering finials. Paired lancet-style windows to nave; three-light perpendicular-style north chancel window; narrow north doorway flanked by ornate railings with scrolled panels.

Interior: slim hammer-beam style roof trusses with steel tie rods to nave; moulded chancel arch, corbels support three shallow-arched roof trusses to chancel. Contemporary fittings include: glazed double doors and side screens; brass door furniture; raked pews with doors and umbrella stands; south gallery. Panelled pulpit and organ case, octagonal white marble font in memory of Jack and Chris Hargreaves, November 1905. Memorial window to Richard Yates in vestibule, funded by his employees at Spring Mill; patterned stained glass in side windows and east widow in memory of William Hoyle, Temperance Statistician, 1905. Chancel has mosaic floor, panelled dado with war memorial, carved panelled choir stalls. The pulpit, choir stalls and reredos were the gift of Mr and Mrs W Greenhalgh of Southport in memory of their three children.

On the east wall a tablet with two angels holding scrolls commemorates those who fell in the first World War; also a tiled plaque with figure of St George listing those who fought in the second.

Listing NGR: SD7753613071

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01653/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].