BOUNDARY WALL AT WESLEYAN DAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351977
Date first listed:
10-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALL AT WESLEYAN DAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, WESLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY WALL AT WESLEYAN DAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 00:12:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALL AT WESLEYAN DAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, WESLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD 77486 13105

Details

SD 71 SE 326/5/10056

WESLEY STREET Tottington

Boundary Wall at Wesleyan Day and Sunday School

GV II

Gate piers, boundary wall and end piers on Wesley Street ( to north of school) linked to the boundary wall with pedestrian gateway, railings and date stone from original chapel on the boundary with the church yard of the Methodist church to the east, overall length approximately 25m. 1868, modified c.1905 to include re-used date stone of the 1829 chapel. Piers of monolithic gritstone; walling of stone slabs and coursed gritstone; wrought iron railings and east side pedestrian gate. The outer and inner piers are approximately 2 m. high and of square section with moulded copings and plain capstones. On the east side, the boundary wall has a stone coping, narrow pedestrian gate to churchyard, with ashlar quoins and dog bars which have trefoil finials; the wall is stepped down to permit a view of the church, and has a railing with close-set bars and a dog rail. Set into this wall at ground level and facing east is the date stone, of limestone, in a moulded surround and with the incised inscription WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL 1829'. The 1829 chapel stood to the east of the school, the gable entrance facing the main road. It was demolished in 1905.

Listing NGR: SD7748613105

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
471813
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].