- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- SHELLEY HALL, HALL ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351981 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 22:52:27.
- Statutory Address:
- SHELLEY HALL, HALL ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Babergh (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 02814 38206
TM 03 NW SHELLEY HALL ROAD
22.2.55 Shelley Hall
Fragment of house, believed to have been re-built. Early C16 by Sir Philip Tylney who died circa 1533, near moated site of former hall. Later alterations and additions. Red brick with some original black header diapering. Red plain tiled roofs. 2 storeys and attics. The main range is tall and narrow and runs from north to south with a gabled crosswing to south. A range to north-west and gabled north/south, contains the fragments of the former gatehouse. Occupying the angle between the main-range and this wing is a later polygonal stair turret, hipped roof with gablet. East of the gatehouse range is another double roof range. The southern half original, the northern part C18 and extending to cover part of the southern buttress of the gatehouse doorway. This range has south and north external chimney stacks, the southern C16 3 octagonal shafts, moulded bases and star capping, the northern C18. Between the gables is a single octagonal shaft with moulded base and star capping. There is an original C16 polygonal buttress adjacent to the C18 build and the C16 brick work is diapered, simple buttress to southern angle. Gatehouse range, west face, original external chimney stack, rectangular shaft. Off centre to rear (east) of main range a C16 external stack commences at first floor level, octagonal shaft, moulded base, star capping. There is an original polygonal buttress to north of this stack. Southern range, 2 stacks, that to ridge a C16 octagonal shaft, moulded base, star capping; breaking through roof above eaves is a square stack with moulded capping. Main range:- West (front) face:- 3 gabled dormers to left (north). Two wide polygonal buttresses. Diapered brick work to first floor northern bays. First floor, left (north) 2 original chamfered brick 2-light windows, 5 square heads, moulded labels, one light of northern window hidden by stair turret, similar blocked window below. These windows intact internally. First floor right southern bays 2 windows below eaves and 2 lower small paned 2-light casements, segmental heads. Between these windows a moulded brick panel with Coat of Arms. Ground floor, 2 C20 windows, segmental heads. C20 restored 4-centred arch doorway, plank and muntin door. Rear (east ) Face:- Much repaired brickwork. First floor 3 casement windows, that to north set into an original blocked window with brick chamfered square head and label. Ground floor. Blocked round headed arch to south, C20 2-light window set in, one other similar window with segmental head to north. A C20 lean-to covers the wall to north. Brick courtyard in front of this face. Southern crosswing:- Three single storey extensions to west. 2-light window to gable attic. South, small gabled dormer, 3 first floor, 2 ground floor vari-light windows, attic window to east. Later buttresses to ground floor. North western gatehouse range:- First floor band to north and east faces. North face, single windows to attic and first floor, ground floor 3 windows, various casements and sashes. Central, below the band is a large square stone panel with finely carved Tylney Arms. Eastern face. Doorway flanked by full height polygonal buttresses, trefoiled panels to 3 stages, the southern buttress partly obscured by later building. Chamfered 4-centre arched doorway, fragment of square label over, above this doorway a C20 window is set into a brick label. West face has similar buttresses but the doorway is blocked with a C20 window over in chamfered opening. Western stair turret of 3 angles, a leaded 2-light window to each angle, graduated levels; brick surrounds, square labels with raised heads. North eastern range; west face 2 first floor small paned vertically sliding sashes. Similar window to ground floor north and two 3-light leaded casements with transoms. Above these windows the brickwork is diapered. Interior. Gatehouse range, 2 plastered stop chamfed arches to ground floor. C18 plastered ceiling to ground floor room. Fire surround with moulded frieze. Early C19 fire surround to eastern room. Moulded and nailed vertically boarded door. Circa 1600 dog gate to stairs with original hinge and catch, trellised base, turned balusters, carved top rail, moulded frame. Carved lintel to stairface on moulded bracket. Spiral staircase to stair turret. North eastern range, dining room. Chamfered bridging and ceiling joists. Large inglenook fireplace, moulded pilasters with capitals and bases, chamfered mantel beam. Linenfold cupboard door by fireplace. Plank and muntin door. Main range:- Hall door moulded 4-centred door arch, carved shields of arms to spandrels. Brick pammets to floor. Kitchen of 3 bays, heavy stop chamfered bridging joists. Southern Range, heavy stop chamfered bridging joists, later support storey post with bolted brace. Blocked fireplace with mantel beam exposed. Blocked plastered arch to outer wall, possibly a bake oven. Eastern room of this range used as a wash house, stop chamfered bridging joists. First floor. Nailed boarded door at top of stairs. Some window splays and original windows visible. Small spiral staircase to attic. Roof mainly covered, appears to be side purlin construction with collars to principle rafters. Vertically boarded doors to attics. Panelled bedroom, moulded cornice, bolection moulding to fireplace. Moulded panelled doors with original hinges. Chamfered bridging Joists throughout. Southern bedroom, some re-set linefold panelling around C20 fireplace. The great grandson of Sir Phillip Tylney was related to Queen Elizabeth I and entertained her here 1561. The Kerridges lived here from the time of Charles I to 1747. 1758 to 1875 inhabited by the Partridge Family. N Pevsner. Suffolk 1974. E Sandon Suffolk Houses 1977.
Listing NGR: TM0281438206
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing