ADMASTON SPA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1351988
Date first listed:
08-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
ADMASTON SPA, SHAWBIRCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ADMASTON SPA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 01:37:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
ADMASTON SPA, SHAWBIRCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wrockwardine
National Grid Reference:
SJ6372213059

Details

1. 5362 SJ61SW 27/604

WELLINGTON ADMASTON Shawbirch Road Admaston Spa

II

2. Circa 1840 stuccoed house, with low pitched hipped slate roof. Two-storeys. 1:3:1 bays. Left and right break forward and centre ground storey portico with Doric columns and heavy entablature in antis. String course and first floor cill level. Sashes with glazing bars, ground floor left and right tripartite sashes. Stuccoed chimney stacks with cornices. Red brick wing to left-hand; 2-storeys, 3 bays, central square bay window, adjoining left-hand end on elliptical arched carriageway with clock feature above, hipped roof and bellcote with wind-vane. Including garden area railings, wrought iron with intersecting tracery and spear heads. First references to mineral spring at Admaston was in 1764. It became well established in late C18 and early C19. In circa 1842 John Purcell built the existing buildings and ran the spa until 1857. It continued in use until 1874 when it was used as a school.

Listing NGR: SJ6372213059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362460
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13718/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Liston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].