CODDENHAM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352039

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: CODDENHAM HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CODDENHAM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352039 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 22:10:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CODDENHAM HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Coddenham

National Grid Reference: TM 12932 54443

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CODDENHAM CHURCH ROAD TM 15 SW 7/10 Coddenham House (formerly - 9-12-55 listed as The Vicarage) - II

House, built c.1770 as a vicarage, for Sir Nicholas Bacon. Red brick, with a string at 1st floor. Low-pitched hipped 2-span roof with internal chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys on basement. 5 windows; an original lower 3-window service range to left. Small-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick. 6- panelled entrance door with semicircular fanlight and panelled linings. Good portico porch with modillioned cornice on Ionic columns, approached by a flight of 12 limestone steps with wrought iron handrails. The service wing has a separate entrance with similar but smaller flight of steps. Good Adam- type fireplaces and grates. A limestone tablet, apparently from another building, is built into the service range. It has the Bacon emblem (the figure of a pig) and beneath it the date 1630. In early C19 an attic storey was removed from the main range. Suffolk Houses: Sandon, 1977. N.M.R.

Listing NGR: TM1293254443

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279258

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977)

End of official listing