TERRACE KNOWN AS THE BALCONY GARDEN, INCLUDING BALUSTRADING AND PAVILION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352051
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
TERRACE KNOWN AS THE BALCONY GARDEN, INCLUDING BALUSTRADING AND PAVILION

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRACE KNOWN AS THE BALCONY GARDEN, INCLUDING BALUSTRADING AND PAVILION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352051 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 20:14:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
TERRACE KNOWN AS THE BALCONY GARDEN, INCLUDING BALUSTRADING AND PAVILION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Barham
National Grid Reference:
TM 12586 52560

Details

BARHAM SHRUBLAND ESTATE TM 15 SW 3/20 Terrace known as The Balcony Garden, including 9.12.55 balustrading and pavilion - II* Balustrading, retaining wall and pavilion, enclosing on 3 sides a rectangular terrace about 90m x 30m. C.1849-50, by Sir Charles Barry for Sir W.F. Middleton, Bart. Cream limestone ashlar. Low open balustrading with turned balusters and square piers, the retaining walls have rusticated blocks. At the N.W. and S.W. angles are buttressed recesses with wooden seats and obelisk and ball finials. On the east side are two broad flights of steps to the Gun Terrace. In the centre of the west side is a fine pavilion in the form of a triumphal arch: on the east face above the arch is an open pediment on console brackets and sunk pilasters, the latter and the tympanum both enriched with festoons. Reclining upon the pediment are two female figures of limestone. The pavilion has rusticated walling on either side with a sunk panel containing festoons. The west face has an archway with a plainer pediment on console brackets.

Listing NGR: TM1258652560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279213
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02057/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].