Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352073

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955



Ordnance survey map of CREETING HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 19:29:13.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Creeting St. Peter or West Creeting

National Grid Reference: TM 07888 56850


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CREETING ST. PETER MILL LANE TM 05 NE 4/74 Creeting Hall - 9-12-55 - II*

Former manor house, now subdivided into two dwellings, of which one is a farmhouse. Mid C16 with alterations of C17 and c.1828. A large 3-cell house, both end cells being of cross-wing form. 2 storeys. Ground storey walls are of C16 red brick with diaperwork in burnt headers. Upper storey walling timber-framed and plastered with some early C19 cable-pattern pargetting. The garden elevation was formerly the entrance front; both cross-wings are jettied on this side at 1st floor, with heavily moulded fascia-bressumers. At the rear of the parlour wing is exposed close studding; the gable tie-beam is jettied on brackets and moulded. Plaintiled roofs (the hipped cross-wings were gabled until C19). An axial c.1600 chimney of red brick has a sawtooth shaft; another at the rear rises from a brick gable, with a group of 3 octagonal shafts. At 1st storey are C19 small-pane sashes and at ground storey various C19 and C20 casements, some with segmental brick heads. In the parlour wing is an original window with a flat splayed brick head, and wooden cavetto-moulded mullions in a subframe. In the rear re-entrant angles of both cross-wings are original lean-to roofed staircase towers. Between them is a C19 brick lean-to outshut, scratch-dated "EW 1828"; small-pane sashes and a C20 panelled entrance door. Many good interior features: a rear cross-passage entrance doorway, moulded and formerly with an arched head; other internal doorways also moulded, and some with arched heads. Moulded floor beams over hall and parlour, the former with roll-and-ogee, the latter double-chamfered. High quality close-studding, but also some later box-framed partitioning with very large panels. Two newel staircases. Good wind-braced butt-purlin roof; but unusually, with an intergral section of crownpost roofing. Open fireplaces have depressed arches carved from the soffits of deep cambered lintels. Some early C17 panelling, and a little bolection-moulded joinery of c.1700.

Listing NGR: TM0788856850


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279323

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing