YAXLEY MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352106

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: YAXLEY MANOR HOUSE, MELLIS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of YAXLEY MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352106 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 06:33:59.

Location

Statutory Address: YAXLEY MANOR HOUSE, MELLIS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Yaxley

National Grid Reference: TM 10822 74475

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YAXLEY MELLIS ROAD (NORTH SIDE) TM 17 SW 3/157 Yaxley Manor House 29.7.55 - II*

Part of this item falls in Mellis Civil Parish. Farmhouse. c.1520 probably for J. Fanner, service wing added c.1600 and altered mid C17 for Felgate family, altered c.1910. Timber frame, Fletton brick cased and colourwashed on ground floor, roughcast with sham timber framing on first floor. Steeply pitched plaintiled roofs. A large 6 bay 3 cell range with an added service cross wing extending forward to right to form an L on plan. All 2 storeys and attics. Continuously jettied front to main range. Ground floor: entrance in original position in a C20 brick projection replacing original porch and retaining original 4-centred arched panelled door, carved spandrels with initials I.F., restored roll moulded surround with Gothic 7-light fanlight, outer 4-centred arch with initialed spandrels on restored roll moulded and shafted pilasters. Recessed casement windows, 3 lights to hall, 4 lights to parlour, in front of stack a C20 lean-to projection with a 2-light window. Original heavily roll moulded bressumer to jettied first floor with 3-light glazing bar casements. Boxed eaves. C17 axial ridge stack with 5 conjoined hexagonal shafts. Brick cased left gable end with attic light and bargeboards. Service wing to right has a slightly lower ridge with an entrance in second bay from front, first floor casements. Internal ridge stack to front gable end with C20 tile hanging and bargeboards. Right return all brick cased with an entrance in second bay, recessed 2 and 3-light segmental headed casements. Gable end to rear of service wing extending slightly further than main range which is all brick cased with segmental headed casements to rear. Interior: panelled entrance porch originally opened straight into hall with elaborately and continuously roll moulded crossed binding beams and storey posts, triple roll mould in cavetto and stop chamfered joists, early C17 panelling with a fluted pilaster with a strapwork capital, a 4-centred arched doorway leads to stairs behind stack and to parlour with an axial quadruple roll moulded binding beam, roll moulded mid- rails. Doorway from hall to service end has a 4 centred arched head with carved rose and pomegranate spandrels, roll moulded surround. First floor arched braces from jowled posts to cambered tie beams, wallplates and tie beams are chamfered and lightly roll moulded, axial binding beams. Crown post roof over hall and service bays, chamfered square crown posts, 2 way longitudinal arched braces, largely removed, struts from tie beams to collars. Parlour reroofed in C17 with double purlins, lower butt purlins, upper purlins clasped by collars. Service wing has close studding, stop chamfered binding beams, first floor moulded posts, cut arched braces to tie beams, some panelling, double butt purlin roof with collars to principal rafters, ridge piece. Grade II* for interior details. (East Anglian Miscellany, 1918, p.87).

Listing NGR: TM1082274475

This asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Mellis at list entry 1032818. This list entry was removed from the List on 28/01/2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279615

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'East Anglian Miscellany' in East Anglian Miscellany, (1918), 87

End of official listing