VALLEY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352124
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
VALLEY FARMHOUSE, IPSWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of VALLEY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352124 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 17:04:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
VALLEY FARMHOUSE, IPSWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Helmingham
National Grid Reference:
TM 19156 58332

Details

HELMINGHAM IPSWICH ROAD TM 15 NE 4/94 Valley Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse, built in 2 distinct sections; an early C19 front range, and a parallel rear range consisting of a 3-cell open hall house of c.1500, retained as service accommodation. Front range: red brick. Hipped plaintiled roof with rear chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys, 3 windows. C19 window openings with cambered heads: 4-light C20 casements with transomes. Prominent 2-storey entrance porch with parapet gable and obelisk finials; a large round-headed window lights the staircase hall behind. A lower porch is attached at the front, with a similar gable and with an arched opening; 6-panelled inner doorway. Rear range of 2 storeys. Timber framed and plastered. Hipped pantiled roof with axial chimney of red brick. The open hall has an open truss with a cambered tie beam and one of a pair of large chamfered arch- braces rising from a pilaster shaft. A mutilated pair of 4-centred arched service doorways. Most of the original partition walling is removed, but arch windbraced studwork to external walls is quite complete. Evidence for a crownpost roof; the smoke-blackened rafters are reused in the C19 roof. An upper floor was inserted into the hall in c.1600.

Listing NGR: TM1915658332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279713
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].