MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352128
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
MANOR FARMHOUSE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352128 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 03:58:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR FARMHOUSE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashbocking
National Grid Reference:
TM 18296 54431

Details

ASHBOCKING THE STREET TM 15 SE 7/4 Manor Farmhouse GV II Farmhouse, formerly manor house. The front range was added c.1810 to the rear range of early C17. Front range: gault brick (now painted). Low-pitched slated hipped roof with deep shallow eaves. 3 windows, 2 storeys. Small-pane sashes with flat arches of gault brick; ground storey windows are set within shallow blind arches, and the detail repeats at the end elevations. Tuscan portico porch, and a pair of glazed panelled entrance doors. T-shaped C17 rear range: timber-framed and plastered, plaintiled roofs. A large external C17 chimney of red brick on north side, recapped in gault brick c.1810. Various early C19 casements. C17 close studding with arch stud-bracing exposed internally, with much oak wainscotting at 1st storey. Ovolo-moulded 1st floor members. In the Proc. Suffolk Inst. Arch. for 1902, a print copied by J.S. Corder shows the east elevation before C19 alterations. A brick parapet-gable with crowstepping shown on the print remains, truncated and remodelled, with a plastered ovolo-moulded window of c.1600; all now within the roof space. In a C19 granary 40m to the north is a reused section of a tie-beam, enriched and carved with "E 1674 M". In 1674 Edward Mann, Recorder of Ipswich, lived here; a demolished wing on the north side is possibly the source of this, and other materials in the farm buildings.

Listing NGR: TM1829654431

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279623
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History' in Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History, (1902)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].