POST MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352134

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: POST MILL, MILL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of POST MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 08:48:33.

Location

Statutory Address: POST MILL, MILL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Framsden

National Grid Reference: TM 19181 59753

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRAMSDEN MILL HILL TM 15 NE 4/40 Post Mill 9.12.55

GV II*

Post mill. Circa 1760. Modernised 1836, when the mill was raised and the roundhouse built (dated on a brick). Restored 1966-73. Timber framed and weatherboarded buck of 3 floors with a felted roof. 2-storey red brick roundhouse. Winding was by means of a fantail mounted above the steps: the fan carriage has been restored but the fantail is dismantled and stored inside the mill. One pair of patent sails remains. Machinery mainly dates from 1836 modernisation (by John Whitmore of Wickham Market) but the brakewheel is the original, modified to clasp-arm construction. Windshaft, upright shaft, wallower and spurwheel all of cast iron; stone nuts cast iron with wooden cogs. 2 pairs of underdriven millstonbs in the breast. The sack hoist was driven off a pulley mounted behind the brakewheel. Buck extended to rear in late C19 to accommodate a flour dresser, the drive taken off the brakewheel by a skew gear mounted on a layshaft. A good example of the C19 modernisation of an older post mill, still retaining much of the C18 structure today.

Listing NGR: TM1918159753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279659

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing