CHARLES HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352189
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHARLES HALL, STOWMARKET ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHARLES HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352189 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 20:43:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHARLES HALL, STOWMARKET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ringshall
National Grid Reference:
TM 03328 53713

Details

RINGSHALL STOWMARKET ROAD TM 05 SW

5/163 Charles Hall - - II

Former manor house, now a farmhouse subdivided into 2 dwellings. Circa c.1500 with mid C16 and early C17 alterations. 2 storeys. 3-cell cross-entry plan with central open hall. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roofs. Axial chimneys, rebuilt in mid C19 in gault brick: octagonal shafts with concave faces, that to the hall having a single flue, that to the parlour wing with two. Casements of c.1960. C20 entrance doorways; one with a gabled plaintiled porch is at the cross-entry position. The 2-bay open hall has a central open truss: a cambered tiebeam (arch-braces missing) and an octagonal crownpost without capital, with 2-way plank braces. The roof is complete and has moderate smoke-blackening. Good close-studding. Twin service room doorways: one blocked, the other damaged but with part of a chamfered 4- centred arch. In mid C16 a wide open fireplace with cambered lintel was placed against the cross-entry, and a fine inserted ceiling in the hall, with moulded joists and beams. In early C17 a parlour block of cross-wing form was added to left; it has an ovolo-moulded briding beam and vesigial wind-braced butt-purlin roof. The originally hipped roofed service cell was extended to right in C16/C17. Thomas Charles held the manor in c.1250; the house is associated with an incomplete medieval moat.

Listing NGR: TM0332853713

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279938
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].