GABLES FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352200
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
GABLES FARMHOUSE, EARSHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GABLES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352200 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 01:45:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
GABLES FARMHOUSE, EARSHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wingfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 23550 78296

Details

WINGFIELD EARSHAM STREET TM 27 NW 5/154 Gables Farmhouse - (formerly listed as The Gables) 29.7.55 GV II

Farmhouse. C16 and early C17, in several phases. Timber framed and plastered with a roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys. A main range with flanking cross-wings, the smaller cross-wing to the east being the earliest section; to the north of the central range a disused C17 porch with a jettied upper floor; a further C17 gabled addition to south. Late C19 and C20 casement windows with large panes. To south west of central range a red brick porch dated 1875; this has a 4-panelled door with 2-centre arched head. In the same position to the north a C19 6-panelled raised and fielded door. Rectangular axial stack above these doorways. Internally much of the structure has been exposed. In the west wing; where the timbers are still concealed, there are arched brick fireplaces on both floors. The east wing, perhaps early C16, has a former open truss with arched-braced cambered tie beam which once supported a queen-post roof; some good framing with reversed bracing and 2 diamond- mullioned windows.

Listing NGR: TM2355078296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280103
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16626/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].