WILBY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352214

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: WILBY HALL, WILBY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILBY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352214 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 18:40:56.

Location

Statutory Address: WILBY HALL, WILBY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Wilby

National Grid Reference: TM 26061 72272

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WILBY WILBY LANE TM 27 SE

4/166 Wilby Hall 29.7.55

- II

Farmhouse. Dated '1579 RB' in circular terracotta panel on base of gable stack; later dairy range to rear. Altered c1900 with rear wing of about the same date. Timber framed, facade of c1900 with red brick to ground floor and plastered first floor with applied timbers. Original red brick gable end to left with some diaper work. Ashlar-lined plasterwork to rear. Wavy bargeboards with pierced quatrefoils to all gables. Roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys and attic. 3-cell form. Mullion and transom casement windows without glazing bars. Lobby entrance: 2- storey gabled addition, the ground floor forming an enclosed porch within which is a 4-panel door. 2 gabled dormers. Internal stack. C16 gable end has paired first floor windows with quoined stucco surrounds; one window has original mullions. Blocked paired attic windows. Integral stack: 2 octagonal shafts with moulded bases and C20 caps. Dairy range retains slatted windows and is largely unaltered since C19. Internally most of the frame is concealed. Hall has fully moulded bridging beam and remains of moulded cornice. Simpler mouldings to bridging beams in the 3 other main rooms. Parlour chamber has good 3-centre arched stucco fire- place with sunk spandrels. 2 solid treat attic stairs, one mostly rebuilt, Intact queen-post roof. Preserved in the house is a carved drip finial, dated 1578 with the initials 'B' over 'RM'. Intact medieval moat.

Listing NGR: TM2606172272

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 280286

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing