HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352238

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: HILL HOUSE, MELLIS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 12:51:16.

Location

Statutory Address: HILL HOUSE, MELLIS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Burgate

National Grid Reference: TM 08714 75875

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURGATE MELLIS ROAD (EAST SIDE) TM 07 NE 1/14 Hill House - -- II

Farmhouse. Probably early C17, cased and part reroofed early C19, part rebuilt and extended late C19. Timber frame, plastered with some red brick casing. Steeply pitched black glazed and machine pantiled roofs. Appears as 3 cell lobby entry front range with parallel 2 cell block to rear centre and left, earlier sections are to rear and front left, original plan obscure. 2 storeys and attics. Entrance to left of centre in a gabled porch, 6 fielded panelled architraved door with a rectangular fanlight, wavy bargeboards. C19 2-light architraved glazing bar casements, ground floor hoodboards. Boxed eaves. Axial ridge stack with moulded capping to 3 conjoined diagonal flues. Left gable end small attic casement, exposed plates and purlins. Parallel range to rear has a slightly lower ridge, exposed purlins to rendered left gable end. To rear: red brick facing, ground floor, entrance to right with 6 reeded panelled door, blind entrance to left, 2 recessed 2-light casements. First floor 16 pane sash and a 3-light leaded casement. Central ridge stack. Roof hipped to inner brick faced return with varied casements and a C20 lean- to entrance porch. Interior: left cell of front range has ground floor close studding, ogee stop chamfered axial binding beam, runout chamfered joists, stop chamfered fireplace bressumer, first floor bar stop chamfered binding beam, double purlin roof with lower butt purlins, upper clasped purlins, reverse curved windbraces, to centre all rebuilt, to right all C19. Rear bays have altered framing on ground floor, first floor 6-light ovolo mullion and transomed and 3-light diamond mullioned window openings. Close studding. (East Anglian Miscellany 1922, pp8-9).

Listing NGR: TM0871475875

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 280302

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'East Anglian Miscellany' in East Anglian Miscellany, (1922), 8-9

End of official listing