CHAPEL OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1352278
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST NICHOLAS, CHAPEL GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 06:16:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST NICHOLAS, CHAPEL GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Gipping
National Grid Reference:
TM 07204 63578

Details

GIPPING CHAPEL GREEN TM 06 SE

5/42 Chapel of St. Nicholas - 9/12/55

GV I

Free chapel, built as a private chapel c.1474-80 for Sir James Tyrell of Gipping Hall. Since 1743, a free chapel administered by trustees. Nave and chancel; north vestry added soon after, and west tower in late C16. Walling entirely of a chequerboard pattern of squared limestone rubble and knapped flint (many of the flint panels instead have brown septaria). Freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs. 4-centred arched windows with transomes and traceried heads. The south doorway has floral carved spandrels to the arch, and the twin windows above have linking flushwork patterning. C18 panelled doors. The buttresses also have flushwork panels and a number of carved designs in freestone. The vestry is of very similar form and detail: in the north gable is a chimney intended to appear as a splayed oriel window, with false mullions and tracery, including heraldic shields carved at the head. The vestry has a private external doorway with an inscription carved into the chamfered arched head which reads "PRAY FOR SIR JAMYS TIRELL DAME ANNE HIS WYE". The north doorway retains its original battened plank door. The tower is entirely plastered and probably of brick fabric: plastered mullioned windows and doorway and parapets. Interior: flat ceiling with cambered tiebeams, arch braces rising from shafted wallposts, and moulded cornice and purlins; the pitched roof above is believed to be a later alteration. Rood loft stairway to south of plain chancel arch. C15 font with circular bowl and octagonal stem. Sets of 4 and 5 original pews with a little carving. Interior remodelling of mid C18: panelled box pews and polygonal pulpit, altar rails and several doors. A fine painted trompe d'oeuil surround to the east window with draped columns and a swag. Fine but jumbled original stained glass in the east window. An C18 hatchment at the west end. For full illustrated description:- The Chapel of St. Nicholas, Gipping, Suffolk: Proc. Suffolk Inst. Arch. Vol. XX: Philip J. Turner, FRIBA, FRAIC.

Listing NGR: TM0720463578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280524
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History' in Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History, , Vol. 20, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08288/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. C. A Seinet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].