FRANKLINS (NEWSAGENT) AND BEAM ENDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352311
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
FRANKLINS (NEWSAGENT) AND BEAM ENDS, OLD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRANKLINS (NEWSAGENT) AND BEAM ENDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352311 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:25:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRANKLINS (NEWSAGENT) AND BEAM ENDS, OLD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Haughley
National Grid Reference:
TM 02870 62088

Details

HAUGHLEY OLD STREET (NORTH SIDE) TM 0262

8/108 Franklins (newsagent) -09/12/55 and Beam Ends (formerly listed as The Old Cock Inn)

GV II

Two dwellings and shop. Probably 1701 as dated on plaque over entrance, but reusing many C16 components. 2 storeys. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan. Timber- framed and plastered; the 1st floor is long-wall jettied to the front elevation. Glazed pantiled roof of late C19 or C20; the earlier roof would have been more steeply-pitched. C20 chimneys of red brick. Mainly C19 small- pane casements, and one small-pane sash. A mid C20 bay shop window on brackets. C19 4-panelled door in porch recessed beneath jetty. Primary- braced studding and other C18 carpentry features exposed internally, but with heavy principal members reused from a C16 house, including jetty framing.

Listing NGR: TM0287062088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280591
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12345/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].