GREEN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352327
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
GREEN FARMHOUSE, THORNEY GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREEN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:27:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREEN FARMHOUSE, THORNEY GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stowupland
National Grid Reference:
TM 06401 60171

Details

STOWUPLAND THORNEY GREEN TM 06 SE

5/197 - Green Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse, c.1500-1530. 3-cell plan, originally with cross-entry. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered; the first floor is long-wall jettied towards the green with chamfered knees beneath the jetty. Concrete plaintiled roofs; a C16 chimney of red brick, the shaft partly rebuilt in C20. Early C19 small- pane sashes; at ground storey are two early C19 French windows, each pair having pointed arches formed by the upper row of glazing bars. C20 boarded entrance door with oblong fanlight, at lobby-entrance position. Good early C16 framing; heavy unchamfered floor joists, close-studding with blocked 4- centred-arched cross-entry doorway. A blocked window in the hall has one roll-and-cavetto mullion, and a blocked but complete window in the parlour has chamfered square mullions. Crownpost roof: chamfered square crownposts with 2-way braces; the open trusses have short thick 4-centred arch-braces. Set forward to left is a service cell with heavy plain framing of late C15 type; this may be a building demolished and re-erected here in C16/C17. Widely- spaced studding and tie-beams with massive arch braces. Both ranges had hipped roofs until given gables with clasped-purlins by c.1600.

Listing NGR: TM0640160171

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280680
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00623/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George C Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].