CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352447

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352447 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 18:02:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Occold

National Grid Reference: TM 15578 70863

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OCCOLD THE STREET TM 17 SE 1/41 Church of St Michael 29.7.55 GV II* Parish church. Medieval, restored 1854 and 1877. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble, the nave, chancel and porch rendered. Slated roofs. C15 square tower in 4 stages; crenellated parapet with stumps of pinnacles. Diagonal buttresses to west, lateral buttresses to east. Flushwork to plinth, parapet and buttresses. Moulded west doorway, the arch enriched with fleurons and crowns, now decayed. Renewed 3-light west window and 2-light belfry openings. Nave has C13 north and south doorways with plain 2-centred arches. The windows are in Perpendicular style, very largely C19-C20 renewals; 2 to the south have square heads. The porch is heavily restored. Chancel has one small C12 window (north); a cinquefoil- headed lancet window with ballflower-enriched hoodmould and 2 2-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centre arched Priest's doorway between (south). 3-light east window with intersecting tracery (renewed). Interior. Both nave and chancel were re-roofed in 1854. The chancel arch rests on large corbel heads, probably of C14 date. North east nave window has shafted surround and a canopied statue niche in its east splay. Central south nave window also has a canopied statue niche in its east splay. In the chancel, the head of the splay of the south west window is decorated with a band of leaves. Fleuron- enriched vestry doorway with medieval door. Both nave and chancel have cinquefoil piscinas. Remains of rood stair in south east nave; opposite is a blocked doorway to another rood stair. C15 octagonal font, the carving now lost. Good early C17 carved pulpit with bracketed bookboard and suspended tester; a date 1620 was probably removed from the backboard. West nave has 8 plain bench-ends, probably medieval. Chancel stalls re-use 4 medieval traceried panels and 2 poppyhead bench-ends. In the sanctuary is a medieval misere seat with good carving. Nave floor has effigy brass,to William Corbald and wife (c.1490). In the tower base is a C17 painted board in memory of Stephen Humfrey and family. Splay of south west chancel window has C14 painted figure. Arms of Charles II on north nave wall.

Listing NGR: TM1557870863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281322

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing